Chapter One - Part Two

“I won’t accept this.” Zero spoke firmly, one hand hanging loosely in his pocket, standing at the headmasters desk alongside Lucia. The room was large, with paled olive walls highlights with regal patterns. “Is our real duty to wait for them at the gate just to be their personal guards?” He finished by banging his clenched fist on the Headmasters desk, referring to the Moon Dorm and Night Class students. Lucia sighed, closing her eyes slightly.

                “It must be big trouble, evening after evening.” The headmaster drawled out sitting at his desk, enlightening Zero’s flame of anger.

Lucia’s father, otherwise known as the headmaster of Cross Academy was a built man, his pale skin mimicked his pale blond hair which was tied into a messy ponytail. He wore oval glasses to frame his sharp hazel eyes; a similar colour to the skin of roasted almonds. Other than his strong display and firm jaw line, he was a friendly character but seemed to like winding Zero up.

                “If you knew that it was such a trouble, you should get someone more fit to be a prefect.” Zero snarled, the whites of his knuckles appeared as he clenched his fist harder. “She’s little more than useless.” He finished, pointing at Lucia who wore a sheepish expression.

                “Don’t say that when you’re always late or not even there!” she piped up, glaring at him.

                “That’s impossible−” The headmaster whispered, taking a sip of his coffee. He chuckled silently waving his hand, “−I mean, their existence is a secret and all. Because Cross Academy is used in rotation by both Day and Night Classes. In order to protect the true identity of the Night Class, we have prefects. No ‘Guardians’ are essential to that. I can’t leave the job to anyone but you two.”

Lucia nodded in agreement, were as Zero groaned in opposition. “You’re always helping even if you hate or get tired of it. If I can leave it to my cute son and loving daughter, my heart will never be troubled by it!” The Headmaster spoke enthusiastically in adoration, but Zero abruptly slammed down his fist once again. Angry radiated off him in purple tendrils.

                “I know I was raised by you, but I don’t remember ever becoming your son.” He spat, as the Headmaster drew back slightly.

                “You pay too much attention, Zero.” He chuckled, holding his mug of coffee to his chest.

                “You’re his real daughter, say something, Lucia.” He calmed speaking softly to her.

                “Eh? Hmm, well I think the Night Class has been getting along with the Day Class well, and I’m just glad to help out.” She smiled, changing back to her sheepish expression.

Zero just stared at her smiling face.

                “Your such a good kid.” The Headmaster cooed, reaching out to her. “You make daddy happy!”

Lucia stepped away from his forward grip, causing him to fall onto his desk.

                “Headmaster?” she asked with concern.

                “Call me ‘ daddy’.” He spoke with his face pressed.

                “Da-Daddy.” She spoke the new word, feeling oddly uncomfortable. The Headmaster finally stand up straight with a big smile.

                “As I thought! The only one who fully understands my pacifism is Lucia!” He paused, “And me? My dream is that someday we’ll be able to break out of his dark strife between vampires and humans. And today’s youth, with their open hearts and minds, will bring harmony between the two! That’s the purpose of Education. That’s the purpose of Night Class.” He finished jumping around the room, Zero and Lucia stood with flat expressions in the center of the room.