“True.” Lisa agreed before turning to me. “I never did get to say Happy Birthday! I know it’s a little late but I wasn’t there for your party and I haven’t seen you until now, so Happy Belated Birthday!” She sang.

“Thank you.” I replied, laughing. I’d just turned thirteen.

“So how does it feel? Being a teenager and all?” Lisa asked, her ever present grin on her face.

“Feels the same I guess.” I replied, shrugging. Taylor giggled and piped up.

“Just wait till you meet the boys.” She chirped, throwing a wink at me.

I blushed and looked away. I wasn’t very good with the boys. In fact, I was embarrassingly horrible when they were around. I never knew what to say and got all tongue tied and nervous. It’s pretty awkward. Unfortunately, I don’t take after my adoptive family.

Sutton has never officially adopted me but it goes without saying that she’s my mom and looks after me. I was six when my family died and to tell you the truth, I don’t really remember them. I’ve seen dozens of pictures of me with them but they don’t ring a bell. Whenever I look at the pictures I feel a little guilty because to me, it just looks like I’m being hugged by a stranger. My real mom and dad and sister are foreign to me, distant and unreachable. I don’t think about them much and it’s sad to say, but I don’t really miss them. I grew up perfectly fine with Sutton as my mom and Taylor and Claire as stand in sisters. Sure, Sutton was a little young to be a mom but she never let it bother her and I love her for that.

Like I’ve said, I don’t really take after my adoptive family. Well, maybe a little like Claire. Sutton has always been impossibly gorgeous and doesn’t stutter when a guy looks at them. Taylor is the same way. And with her sun lit blond hair and sparkling blue eyes, guys give her quite a few looks. Claire on the other hand, well it seems the confidence gene wasn’t passed to her. She’s certainly a beauty but she, unfortunately, doesn’t see it. She gets shy around guys and has trouble talking to them. She’s like me in that way. And we’re both mateless. Well, I haven’t shifted so technically I wouldn’t know who my mate is yet. Claire just hasn’t found hers yet.

“Helloooo? Paige?” Lisa waved her hand in front of my face and I blinked.

“Yeah?”

“Sorry, you were just completely zoned out.” She laughed and ruffled my hair.

“I as telling Taylor she had better not try and set you up with a bunch of guys. You know the rule.” Sutton shot a glance my way and I nodded.

“No guys until I’m sixteen.” I murmured, reciting her words.

“Actually, I think it was sixty.”  She muttered, earning her a laugh from Claire.

She went back into the dressing room to change and I leaned back on the sofa, snuggling against Taylor. I would be lying if I said I didn’t have a favorite between my sisters. You’d think I’d be closer to Claire because of our similar qualities. We both love reading and hate shopping and we both would rather walk around in sweats or sneakers instead of skirts and heels. However, Claire’s introversive nature causes her to be a little more closed off than Taylor. Where Taylor is bubbly and energetic, Claire is laid back and quiet. Taylor’s lively attitude is in intriguing to me and I spend most of my time with her. Don’t get me wrong, I love Claire and it’s fun when we do things together, we just don’t hang out very often.

“Alright, all ready. Lisa, lose this and I’ll kill you.” Sutton warned, handing Lisa her dress. Lisa was the maid of honor while the rest of us were bridesmaids. As maid of honor, it was Lisa’s job to keep the dress with her so Evan wouldn’t see it at home.

“I’ll guard it with my life.” Lisa vowed as we walked out.

“Hey, mom,” I ran up to Sutton and she stopped and waited for me. “I just remembered I don’t have shoes for the wedding. Can we stop by the mall?”

“I’m sorry sweetie  but I have a meeting with the wedding planner.” She smiled apologetically.

“Can you drop me off at the mall then?” She shook her head firmly.

“Ask one of your sisters to go. I’m not letting you go by yourself.” She’s probably worried I’ll show up in converse.

“But-”

“Ask your sisters.” She stated again, nodding towards Taylor and Claire.

“Fine.” I grumbled. She smiled down at me and smoothed her thumb across my cheek.

“I know you think it’s unfair but I just don’t want anything to happen to you.” She’s pretty protective of me.

“It’s fine, I’ll just ask one of them.” I hugged her before trudging off to my sisters. They were arguing as usual, flinging insults at each other.

“Get over yourself Taylor! Not everything revolves around you.” Claire yelled, throwing her hands in the air.

“Nope, just most things.” Taylor quipped, grinning at her. She knew Claire hated it when she kept her cool and insinuated the world belonged to her.

“Uhh.” I started but was quickly cut off.

“I can’t believe I’m stuck with a blond bimbo like you for the rest of my life.” Claire said, groaning. Taylor’s eyes widened in anger. You don’t ever want to call her a blond bimbo.

“You little-”

“Hey!” I yelled before she could get out the word that I’m sure was not a very nice one. They both jumped and looked at me. “I need to go to the mall but mom won’t let me go unless one of you goes with me.”

“Sorry, I don’t do malls.” Claire shrugged and Taylor squealed. If you could live in a mall, she so would.

“I was just about to ask if you wanted to come with me. I need a new skirt.”

“Then it’s set.” I stated. Taylor threw another glower at Claire and slipped her sunglasses on, heading to her black Lexus.

“I don’t know how you deal with her.” Claire commented, glaring at Taylor’s back.

“Same way I deal with you.” We both laughed and I hesitantly opened my mouth. “Hey, do you think we can go to lunch tomorrow or something? It’s ok if you’re busy or something. I know you’re busy with school and work but I was just thinking we should hang out.” I rushed it out and hoped she understood. She smiled down at me and placed her arm over my shoulders.

“Sure, we’ll do lunch tomorrow.” She grinned down at me.

“Great!” I beamed and she kissed the top of my head.

“See you later sis.” She smiled once more and walked over to her more modest Mercedes.

“Let’s go.” Taylor called as she pulled up in front of me, her eyes glued to her cell phone. I swear she’s going to get pulled over one day for that.

Shaking my head, I smiled happily and got in. I guess I could have gotten stuck with a worse family.