Chapter 14

Katy's POV

"Good afternoon, class," Ms. Calhoun greeted as she entered the classroom. "Take your seats."

Ms. Calhoun was our music teacher, and possibly the best teacher in the entire school. She was young and fun, and she taught one of the best classes: music.

The music classroom was huge. The seats were like bleachers, some higher than others, but there were chairs instead of step-like seats. In front of each chair were music sheets perched on little black standers.

The part of the classroom that was at level with the door had a small podium in the center of it, which was where Ms. Calhoun, or Ms. C, like we call her, stood. Around her were dozens of different types of instruments.

"Okay, everyone," Ms. C said, stepping forward to address the class. "For our new semester, we're going to be singing songs by... Justin Bieber!"

The whole class fell silent. She, however, broke it down by laughing, and we all started laughing, too.

"I'm kidding, guys. I would never be that cruel," She assured, and we all grinned, nodding. "But I do have your first assignment in mind. As you all know... Every year, here at South High School, we have a showcase in which groups of our students compete against each other for a grand prize. It's a sort of talent show, you could say, where our students showcase their talents and try to win the prize."

Jade sighed, leaning back in her chair. None of us ever signed up for the showcase. We just never really found a point.

"So," Ms. C continued, "I've decided that, this year, each of you will enter the showcase."

"What!?" Practically everyone shouted. There were groans of protest. No one wanted to do the showcase with the exception of Chelsea, who, along with the rest of her cheerleading drones, won the showcase every year.

"Oh, come on, guys," Ms. C said. "It'll be fun! You guys just need to form a group amongst each other, pick a song, and showcase it on the night of The Jam Session. I'll help you as much as I can. And it's not like this is for nothing. You'll get a grade and a prize. How bad can it be?"

"She's forgetting we have Chelsea in this classroom," Rachel muttered from next to me.

"Yeah," Jade agreed in a whisper. "It's going to get pretty bad."

The entire class was still unconvinced, and Ms. C sighed. "Really, guys, you need to show more spirit!" She said. Her eyes fell on me. "Katy! You play the guitar, don't you?"

I instantly felt like disappearing. "Well, I do, I guess... But not really," I answered. Now, that was sort of a lie. I knew how to play guitar, but I really liked keeping that to myself.

"Oh, I'm sure you play great," She said. "Come on!" She picked up one of the guitars. "Play this one for me."

"Ms. C-"

"Come on," She pleaded. "You'll do great. Just play it once, okay?"