Something Powerful

Peridot led everyone to the barn where the gem destabilizer was. She rummaged through some piles of stuff in the back behind all of the meep morp.
     "Gosh, how much stuff do you have back there?" Amethyst asked.
     Pearl snickered. "Like you're one to talk."
     "That's fair," Amethyst said. "In that case, I like your style, Peri!" she called over the pile Peridot was barely visible behind.
"I've- Almost-" Peridot grunted. "Got it!" Peridot emerged from the pile of stuff. "One gem destabilizer!" She held the device over her head as she pulled herself out of the mound.
Pearl was obviously shaking. Greg wasn't looking too well, either. Rose Quartz stepped forward. Peridot handed the destabilizer to her. "Thank you," Rose said. She bent down to Peridot's level. "Steven's going to be so happy to see you again. And I'm very glad to have met you. You are a very unique gem. I've never met a peridot like you before. Please continue to be there for my gems. You've done a lot for them."
"Wow, thanks," Peridot muttered in pure astonishment. Rose smiled and stood back up. She looked around at everyone gathered around her, deciding what she was going to say to each one of them. But no matter how hard she thought, no words could measure up to her love for each one of them.
"Connie," she said first, a smile full of love for the young girl. Again, she crouched down, her face level with Connie's.
"Y- yes ma'am?" Connie stammered, tears rolling down her cheeks.
"Oh, don't cry, little one! Dry your eyes and let me tell you something," Rose said, affection showing through her voice. "You are the bravest, kindest, and most loyal girl I've ever met. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise." Connie still cried, her sobs audible.
"W- what if this doesn't work!" she cried out. "What if he never comes back?! I'll never get the chance to tell him... I never told him that..."
"Tell him what, dear one?" Rose asked softly.
"That I love him!" Connie bawled, head down, her tears staining the ground.
Rose wrapped her arms around Connie, cooing, "It's alright. I think... I think he wanted the chance to tell you the same thing."
"Really?" whispered Connie.
"I'm sure of it. He said so himself." Rose stood back up. Connie lifted her head again, face still shining from her tears.
"Wait!" said Connie. "I believe this belongs to you." Connie held out Rose's sword, which she had been holding in her hand.
"Oh, no! You keep it! You're going to be using it much more that I will," Rose Quartz laughed. "Anyway, it suits you. Steven told me how well you can fight with it. Pearl, too."
"Thank you, ma'am," Connie told Rose, the sword falling to her side again. "Thank you so much."
     Rose Quartz turned to Lapis Lazuli next. "Steven told me about what you did for him. How you protected him when you were fused with Jasper. And what a brave thing that was! Thank you for protecting my gems. Thank you for protecting my son."
"It was nothing, really," Lapis turned, blushing with embarrassment.
"What do you mean? Of course it was something! Something powerful. And that's just what this team needs. Power that is willing to fight against the Homeworld gems! Power to protect this earth and the life in it. Power to protect the ones you care about, and so much more than them." Lapis nodded in agreement as Rose turned to speak with Peridot again.
"Hello again, Peridot. I have one more thing to say to you."
"What is it?" asked Peridot.
"Steven told me about many of the times he went on missions and many experiences he had with the gems, and quite a few of them included you. I got to hear of how you came to join the crystal gems, how you defied Yellow Diamond when you realized that the earth was worth protecting. When I heard that, I saw myself in your place. Thousands of years ago, I was the gem that defied the diamonds and Homeworld to make sure that the earth was protected. It was hard to choose what to do in many circumstances. But I always had to put my friends and the earth above me. So, yes, I did have to shatter Pink Diamond. And that broke my heart. I never wanted to do something as terrible as that to anyone. And many times, it was terrifying to stand up against Homeworld, against the diamonds. You understand, don't you?"
Peridot nodded. "I do. But when Steven showed me how amazing the earth really is, and that there are people worth caring about, I couldn't just let Yellow Diamond treat earth like a piece of broken machinery!"
Rose smiled. "I'm proud of you. I wish I could stay and talk to you about all the other things I've heard about you, and share with you the knowledge I have, but you understand why I have to go, don't you?"
"Of course. Steven taught me the concept of this. You're showing him the same thing he shows me."
"Love," Rose responded, her voice bursting with warmth. "Garnet." She turned to look at the fusion. "Ruby, Sapphire. Your coming together has helped hold this team together. Thank you for being strong and protective. Thank you for leading my gems. You make a better leader then I ever did."
     "No. You think I'm strong, but it's only because of you. You showed me what a great leader is like. I would have fallen apart from confusion and frustration had it not been for your example. Even together, I'm not as strong as you think I am," Garnet said, her voice soft.
     "Oh, Garnet," said Rose. "Don't ever tell yourself that. Apart, you are strong. Together, you are mighty. You lead the team and pull it ahead. Do you know how proud I am of you? If I had the chance, I would've strived to be like you. I can't thank you enough for what you've done for this planet, for your friends, for Steven, even for me. Keep leading them well, Garnet."
     "I will, thank you," Garnet said. Unusually, her voice was filled with emotion.
     "Amethyst?" Rose faced the small purple gem and sat to match her height.
     "Yeah?" asked Amethyst.
     "Steven told me about you and Jasper. And about the events after that. How you fought with Japer, and then with Steven."
     Amethyst blushed and turned her face away.
     "Please, don't let that embarrass or discourage you. I understand what it's like, fighting without a chance. I know what it's like to feel like you have to be stronger than who you really are, better even. I understand many of the things you've gone through. Not everything, though. You have to learn to make it out of those things as a better gem than you were when you started. And you and Steven definitely became better gems after your situations. In fact, you became a better gem, I should say!" Rose laughed, her voice filling the atmosphere around them.
     "Smokey Quartz?" Amethyst asked, grinning.
     "Yes! Smokey Quartz!" exclaimed Rose Quartz. "You fused! It's amazing, isn't it?"
     "Yeah, Steven treats me... like I'm important. Like I'm the same as him. Different from everyone else."
     "My Amethyst, you're perfect the way you are. And let me tell you something. Deformity isn't a weakness, Amethyst. And you've become so much more than just a kindergarten gem. Please know that I love you and the gems and Steven do, too. The impact you have on this team is far greater than anything Homeworld could throw at you. And one more thing, Amethyst. You're going to learn that you possess more strength then you know of. I'm not going to tell you, for it would spoil the journeys you will take to discover your importance and power. So just trust in me."
     "I wish you didn't have to go!" Amethyst exclaimed, tears and nose running. Rose nodded and wrapped her arms around her late addition to the team.
     "I'll miss you too, Amethyst," she said, drying the tears from Amethyst's face. She stood again and looked at Pearl.
"Rose, I..." Pearl cried, her head in her hands.
     "My Pearl, don't cry," Rose said, intertwining her fingers with Pearl's.
     "No, Rose, you don't understand! When you left, you don't know how much it broke us, how much it broke me! Everything I did, I did for you! When you left, I didn't know what to live for anymore. Steven showed me what I live for now, though. I live for him, your legacy. But I want you to stay, Rose. Please."
     "Pearl, don't make this any harder than it already is. Don't you want Steven back?"
     "Yes!" Pearl cried. "But for him to be here, you have to go! I want him- you- argh! I'm so torn! My heart is breaking all over again..." Pearl dissolved into tears, her shoulders shaking uncontrollably.
Rose placed her hands on Pearl's shoulders. "Pearl, tell me, do you love Steven?"
"More than anything."
"As do I. So you know why I have to do this. How would you feel if I stayed, but Steven never got to come back, even though there was a chance that he could've if you made me retreat to my gem? Would you truly be happy, Pearl?"
"N-no."
"Exactly. I need you to be strong. Strong for me, for Amethyst and Garnet, for Greg and Connie, and strong for Steven. Every member of this team has value beyond anything anyone could imagine. I'm sorry that I haven't been there to advise you, to live with you all on the earth, or be able to fight with you at my side ever again. But Steven will! He's a gem and a human, something I was never capable of being. And you're right. He'll carry out my legacy. Be strong, my Pearl. I know you'll do amazing things for these people, for my son, for this planet."
"Thank you, Rose Quartz," Pearl said.
"And Greg," Rose faced her husband, her face shining with joy. "Steven needs you to be there for him. I can't be there for him, though I wish with all my heart that I could. He admires you more than you know. I admire you more than you know. I love you very much and I wish we didn't have to part ways. So instead of this being a sad farewell, I want you to be happy. I'm happy to do this for our son. Yes, I'll miss you, but Steven misses you all so much. And please, never make him feel like it's his fault that I have to leave you. I don't want that. He doesn't either. I hope none of you have ever thought that. But back to what I was saying before. I want our goodbyes to be sweet." She gave Greg a peck on the cheek.
"You don't know how much we're going to miss you," Greg said.
"Oh, I do. I'll miss you all so much as well. But please, don't dwell on my leaving. Just make sure to take care of Steven, each other, and this planet for me." Everyone nodded. Rose lifted the gem destabilizer, which she had turned on. Peridot was unfazed at the sight of it, but the others weren't taking it too well.
Pearl muttered, "I can't watch." She covered her face with her hands. The others looked on in horror.
Rose smiled at them as a final farewell. She turned the destabilizer toward her gem, bracing herself. She touched the destabilizer to her gem. There was a bright flash of electricity as Rose went still. When the flash died down, Rose's eyes grew large as rods of electricity were seen branching throughout her body. Connie and Greg cried out in sheer terror as Rose's physical form fell apart. A few seconds after, the pieces of her form vanished, leaving nothing but her gemstone.
Everyone was silent for almost a full minute. Garnet eventually stepped forward and bent over to pick up the gem of Rose Quartz and Steven Universe. No one spoke a word. And no words needed to be spoken.
Once more, all that was left to do was to wait.