For the Earth, For the Gems, For You

Rose Quartz ran, her legs gliding beneath her, the wind parting her curls, and the joy of experiencing the earth herself thrilled her.
And then she saw a human. The human was female and looked quite familiar to Rose. The human girl was small and had dark, curly hair. And the girl was carrying something even more familiar over her shoulder. It was a sword, as pink as Rose Quartz's gem. It was almost as big as the girl herself. Rose recognized the sword as her own. How in the universe had she gotten her hands on such a weapon as powerful as that? Rose had hidden it in her lion. Unless...
"Connie!" Rose called to the human across the beach. Connie, Rose assumed, turned to see who had called her. When she saw, her eyes grew huge and she didn't move. Rose walked towards the girl. She heard Connie squeal, even though she was all the way across the beach.
"What's happening?! This shouldn't be happening! We aren't fused! I'm losing my mind! ... Just a thought... It's okay..." She fell to her knees, head in her hands.
Rose approached until she was right next to Connie. "Are you alright?" she asked her softly.
"Go away! You're not real! You're just another one of those butterflies! I- I don't understand! Where's Garnet, I need Garnet..."
"Woah, it's alright." Rose placed a hand on Connie's shoulder. "I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, but it's really me. My name is Rose Quartz. And I think you're Connie, is that right?"
"How do you know who I am? Wait. How is this even possible?!" Connie cried out.
"Well, you have my sword. So I assume that you're the human who Steven's fused with, the one who Pearl's been training. And I could explain some more, but you're shaken enough as it is, dear. I was going to go see Greg, but I suppose it can wait for a little while. Here, we're you going to the temple?"
"Yes," Connie sniffled.
"Great." Rose took her by the hand and they made their way back to the temple.
"You're Rose Quartz?" Connie whispered. "The real Rose Quartz? How are you here? Where's Steven?"
"I don't know. I shouldn't be the one here. It was supposed to be him. I wanted it to be him. He was there with me in the gem. But then I reformed instead of him. I can only hope that he's still in the gem..."
"So... he's not coming back?" Connie's voice broke.
"That would break my heart," Rose answered sadly. "But I'll do everything I can to try and bring him back. For the earth, for the gems, for you."
"Is there anything I can do to help? Anything at all?"
"I'm afraid not. I'm not even sure if I'm able to bring him back. But we'll still need you, Connie. Steven told me how hard you worked and fought for the gems. I'm sure they're so proud of you."
"Thank you," Connie said. "Hey, there's Pearl!"
     "Rose! Connie!" Pearl called, running over. She beamed up at Rose, her heart swelling with joy. Then she looked down to Connie. "You're back. How did it go? Are your parents fine with you staying for a while?"
     "Yes," Connie replied. "And I'm ready," she said, holding up Rose's sword. Rose smiled at Connie.
     "You really are like Steven," Rose Quartz told her.
     "You know, Connie, I'm not sure if we should do sword training today. I mean, Steven's not here, and..." Pearl droned off.
     "I'm sure we could fit in some time to train her," Rose Quartz said. "I would love to help. Steven told me how great of a fighter you are."
     "Really?" Now Connie's heart was the one swelling with pride.
     "But I think that will have to wait. Because I just remembered where I had been going before I bumped into you."
     "Are you going to see Mr. Universe?" Connie asked.
     "Yes, I am," Rose replied.
     Pearl's smile wavered a little, but only for a second. Pearl remembered that night in Empire City where Steven had showed her that she wasn't alone with her missing Rose Quartz. And that she didn't have to despise his father anymore. So Pearl understood and said to her beloved friend, "Of course! You mustn't waste any time, now. I'll walk Connie back to the temple. You go on."
     Rose beamed at Pearl. "Thank you, my Pearl." Then she waved at Pearl and Connie. She then turned and took off running, the splendid sights of the earth surrounding her.

                     ::::::::::::::::::::

     "There he is," Rose Quartz whispered to herself, hiding behind a bush next to the car wash. "What should I do? Should I just walk up? Should I surprise him? No, that would scare him to death. Maybe I could... No, that wouldn't work either." She moved a bit, though that caused the bush to rustle loudly.
     Greg Universe, who was washing a dropped off car nearby in the driveway, turned, suspicious of the sudden noise.
"Hello? Is someone there?" he called out in the direction of Rose Quartz. Rose stayed deathly still, pondering over whether she should show herself.
"I know you're there!" he shouted again. "If this is a prank, it's not very funny. I- I have a hose and I'm not afraid to use it!"
This caused Rose to snort with laughter. She knew that there was no chance of keeping herself hidden any longer. Still giggling, she stood up to her towering height and turned to face her lover. "Hello, Greg. It's so good to see you again!"
     Greg froze, then turned to look at the gem. His skin turned deathly pale, and his eyes grew wide. "R- Rose?!" he stammered, completely shocked.
Rose Quartz laughed again, and walked towards Greg, a huge smile spread across her shining face. Her gem seemed to shine even more in the late afternoon sunshine.
"Who- what- how-" he kept stuttering. How was this possible, that Rose Quartz was there at that very moment?
Rose scooped him up and gave him a hug. When she set him down, she realized that he was still shaking.
"Are you alright?" she asked, concerned.
"What do you think? Did you think I was just going to walk up to you and be like, 'Hey, Rose, long time no see,'? I don't understand! How is this even possible?! Do I even want to know? To hear about all this magic stuff I'm not going to understand?"
"You're so funny, Greg," Rose giggled. Then her expression became serious again. "When Steven retreated into his gem, well, I couldn't find him there for a few days. Maybe he was there, maybe he was so hurt, because he is half human, that he couldn't physically dwell in the gem for a while. Either way, a few days after the incident, I met him. And he is the most amazing thing I've ever met."
     "He is," Greg agreed.
     "But when it was time to regenerate, the gem regenerated me, not him. But I never wanted it to. I'm scared, Greg. The gems and I don't know if he's still in there. But, if he is, I'm going to do everything I can to bring him back. I couldn't figure out how until just a few minutes ago."
     "Well, what is it?" Greg asked.
     "Greg, I don't even know if it's going to work," Rose Quartz confessed.
"Please tell me," Greg pleaded. "I miss him so much."
"Alright, but I don't think you'll like it. The gems won't either. But I've made up my mind. I'll never stop loving you, or the gems, but I have to do this for Steven."