Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

NICO

Nico walked, knowing that he was at some sort of house, though not at all in his physical being. His mind was somewhere different… in between the music blasting into his ears (which many people called ‘not even music’ though he found strangely calming and relaxing even though it was, like, violent metal rock) or just the fact that he was moving again. This time, he wasn’t even kicked out of the school. He actually tried to keep to his own business. His previous foster ‘parents’ thought of him as a creepy goth punk emo freak who was good for nothing and didn’t contribute to the ‘family’ at all (which he admittedly didn’t) and decided to just send him off to new people.

It was his eleventh foster home. Eleven whole, entire foster homes. Wow. Nobody liked him at all, that is why they all kicked him out. Well, he was expelled three times. Still, those families wanted to kick him out probably more than the school did.

Why didn’t they send him to a border school or something? No family would have to deal with him and he would have a decent education (not that he cared at all but that is what his assistant’s cared about).

He really had never belonged anywhere. Ever after his sister… his sister… died. He shuddered at even the thought and quickly pushed it on. Anyways, ever after his sister, Bianca…

Her name. Her voice. Her hat. Her hair. Her eyes. Her boots. Her rosy cheeks. Her caring. Her love. Nico could remember every detail of her… every single one. He loved the way her nose had three freckles that became more obvious when she smiled and her dimples were revealed. He loved the way that even at the age of thirteen, she refused to pierce her ears at all while he, a boy, had three piercings at the time and he was only ten. She was innocent, and calm, and she loved him. And he loved her.

She was hit by a car. There, at least Nico got it out in his head. Her death was instant. No pain, no memory. Was she in a better place now? Was she in a worse place now? Was she even in a place at all? Nico didn’t know. Truthfully… he didn’t want to know.

He heard his full name called and looked up grumpily from his feet and thoughts. Next to his (obviously  annoyed) assistant, a woman stood in the door. Her eyes were green and her hair was a gold-like blonde. Some would consider her attractive, but for one, she was at least twenty years older than Nico and is to be his ‘mom’. He didn’t even remember his real mom, he wasn’t exactly open to having another. Also, Nico wasn’t exactly into women.

Hah.

The woman in the doorway looked like she was trying to be kind and calm, though was obviously pained. At least she was trying… some foster families had given him a look through the window without even talking to him and said ‘No. Make him go somewhere else. Give us a young, happy, little girl’.

She was disappointed. It was very clear in her face. Was she disappointed that Nico was not the perfect son? Was she disappointed that he had yet to answer her or acknowledge the world at all?

“ Hi,” Nico said simply, and stared back down to his shoes, becoming absorbed in the angry yelling men in his ears.

“Come inside, I’m Brittany,” Brittany said. Nico pretended not to hear her. Nico’s assistant hit his shoulder with no gentleness and he shot her a death glare. Being hit did not exactly bring back the best memories, especially when trying to convince him to trust another foster family.

Brittany signaled for Nico to enter the house after her and he did. Inside was nice, a very typical house. He had lived in many houses that could probably be the same model of the one he saw now.