Falling For The Girl With The Puck

Chapter 1-

INTRODUCTION

I rushed down the ice with god like speed, towards the goal where the padded goalie waited for a shot. My legs elevated as fast as they could just so they could plummet to the ground again. I raised my right hand and put my left hand to my abdomen ready to strike the final blow. The crowd was cheering, the ice in front was clear, this moment was perfect. My stick collapsed as I forced my hands to my left. This was it, the final winning point. At least that’s what I thought. Out of the blue, the black dot disappeared from underneath me. I raised my head and so did the crowd’s voices. A blue figure with a black helmet and a long brown pony-tail sticking out the back, flying around, grabbed my puck and shot it into my goal. Robin.

“Better luck next time, Dan,” she said doing a hockey stop just so she could splash ice in my face, “Next time you might want to try hitting it, rather than stretching.”

God I hated her. She always acted like she ruled the world (might have had something to do with her last name, King). Sure she had some looks but her attitude took that all away. She had extended straight, chocolate brown hair that stretched half way down her back, coffee eyes, a slender body, long legs, flawless tan skin and was kind of tall. She could easily get a modeling job, but she was more shooting for the NHL instead of the catwalk.

She skated away before I could throw a zingy comeback at her, cowered. Over at her bench her teammates cheered competing with the crowd, as the blue covered high schoolers lifted her up off the ice. She laughed as she lifted her helmet to the air, holding it by its cage. Damn model girl. And her big ego isn’t the worst part of all of this. What comes after the game is the worst………….

“Hun, did you see that last goal?! It was amazing! Robin is going to be the best hockey player this nation has ever seen!” my mom shouted as soon as we walked into the door. “I’m calling Crystal and telling her to send the team over here for the party; we already have everything set up!”

Correction, I already had everything set up I started to trot up the wooden stairs when I said, “I’ll be up stairs, no one need me.”

“Dan, just because you lost the game doesn’t mean you can dismiss yourself, let alone be rude, it makes other feel bad,” my dad said with a glare

It makes others feel bad? Did you two ever think that I wanted to win that game?! All you ever talk about is how amazing Robin is! It’s bad enough she haunts me at school and at the rink, but here is like the only place I can be alone and not worry about the upcoming game! Did it ever occur to you that I hate her?! No! You act like she’s my best friend but I’d rather be best friends with a SLUG! So would you to just SHUT UP ABOUT HER WINNING ALL THE TIME AND THINK ABOUT YOUR SON WHO’S ON THE OTHER SIDE!” I screamed from my doorway. I slammed my door with anger as her and her team piled in. I rushed to my laptop and clicked web-cam on my home screen. A depiction of Max, my best friend and teammate, appeared on the screen. “The devil has arrived.”

“You know you look at this all wrong,” Max’s computerized voice said.

“How? I hate her, she hates me. We have a pretty good system going there, Max. Did I mention I hate her?” I declared.

“Dude! Robin is the hottest girl I’ve ever seen! Her mom’s best friends with your mom! You see her all the time! She’s a sick hockey player-” he started.

“No, she’s just some girl that plays guys that don’t want to mess her model face up,” I interrupted.

His shoulder lifted and his hands giving the silent well, “What ever. So I’ll be rate over.”

We always did this when Robin came over. I never wanted to be alone because my parents would insist on her hanging out with me but when Max was here they never offered. Like I said this was all a balanced system, too bad the balance wasn’t to equal anymore. A knock cut through my train of thought making it crash and burn into a million flames. “Who is it?”

“You know,” Robin’s soft voice replied.

“Don’t come in.”

“Listen why don’t you stop throwing your two year old tantrum and let my in?” she said not leaving the door. I reached for the lock but stopped when I realized I really didn’t have to let her in.

“What do you want?” I said rudely.

She sighed, “You know I don’t like parties, this is the only room that’s not crowed with people.”

“How do you know that?”

“You hate parties as much as me, just let me in already or I’m going to have to go get the spare key from your mom,” she said lightly knocking on the door.

“Fine,” I turned the gold pained metal 90 degrees and the handle moved. She walked in still wearing her hockey gear (everything but chest pad, helmet, gloves and stick). She plopped herself on my bed and crossed her legs with a sigh. 

“I still think it’s weird how we used to be best friends and now we’re mortal enemies. I mean we were fine before we got into high school,” she said to destroy the silence (it didn’t work).

“That was when my parents started acting like you were their daughter and I was just some kid,” I answered not looking up from my laptop search of hockey sticks. “And we can’t forget your discriminate attitude, now can we?”

“You know that’s just hockey trash talk, right?” she sounded like she was trying to make peace but I wanted revenge, not peace. She was the reason I hated my life after all.

“Sure,” I said emotionlessly.

Robin sifted uncomfortably, “Is this what you do every day?”

“No, I’m never home I’m usually shooting at the rink,” she looked at me amazed.

“You do that all day every day?!”

“Yeah, I mean why not? I’m not like you I don’t care about winning; I do it because I want to. I like leading my team to victory, that is true, but I practice and play because I like hockey, I don’t play for the fame. I’ve gotten offers for collages but I just put them in a drawer to decide later, I mean I don’t have to now,” I said looking at a Vapor X60 hockey stick. She stared at me like I was crazy but my eyes never left my screen. I didn’t want to see the look on her face, not after I just turned down her peace treaty.