Chapter 10

Today was about me and broadening my experience with jobs. I was not going to think about Jack or anyone else. Just Emily.

It was fairly early, so I decided to hop in the shower, before Allison woke up and took all day. Going to my dresser, I grabbed out a black towel that had pink flowers on it. Heading into the bathroom, I locked the door and looked into the mirror. "All about you today. Clean slate, no troubles, no worries." The mirror had vanity lights around it, and it made the room glow brighter against the lime green walls with a dark green flower pattern.

The tiled floor was cold against my feet as I walked, turning on the hot water, then the shower. I pulled the curtain back and stripped down, stacking my clothes neatly on the back of the toilet, the towel now on the sink. While waiting for the water to warm up, I pulled out the brush from the drawer and brushed my hair. There was nothing worse than trying to shampoo your hair with knots in it. Over the past few days, it had become slightly greasy and really not what people would call pretty, having not washed my hair in a few days.

I stepped into the shower and jumped slightly as the water was hotter than I had thought. I worked my way in slowly, stepping backwards under the spray, and let it run from the top of my head down to my toes, stray water droplets sliding down random parts of my body. It felt so warm, so comforting and relaxing from the past few days. Everything was happening so fast, and I wasn't one to jump the gun. My parents had taught me to look at my surroundings. Look for signs. Listen to what every one tells you.

I ran my fingers through my hair, tilting my head back, getting it all wet now, and reached for the peach mango shampoo. I opened the top and squeezed a little bit, smelling it. I have always been a fan of fruity smells, but the peach mango was specifically for my hair. I have no idea when it started, but I will not buy anything else.

Making a small shampoo pool in my hand, I placed it back and lathered up my hair. The smell overtook the bathroom, and I lost myself. It was like I was in heaven.

Leaving it in, I took my blue razor out, and started to just shave with some water. I know that it was bad for your skin, but I just kept forgetting to buy shaving cream. Maybe if I spent less time buying make up and clip in extensions, I would remember to buy some once in a while.

After I was done, I rinsed out my hair, my body now use to the steaming water that was making me as red as a lobster. I grabbed the same scented conditioner and repeated the process, this time, using my cocoa butter body wash to wash off yesterday's stink. Was there anything better smelling than fruit and chocolate?

My body, full of suds, I rinsed it off, feeling how soft my skin was. That was my mom's secret to her soft skin. Anything cocoa butter, and to never use bar soap. At least, in my family, bar soap dried our skin so much, it would crack under any temperature.

I rinsed out my conditioner and just stood under the shower again. It was so warm, and I never wanted to leave. But things needed to get done, just like every day. My body was all red, and my pores felt cleaned out from all the steam as I shut the water off and wrung my hair out, stepping out onto the matching dark green shag rug in front of the tub. I wiggled my toes and stood there for a moment, and then quickly grabbed my towel, wrapped it around me, and brushed my teeth.

Grabbing my clothes, I walked out and placed them in my hamper and looked around. Allison was out of her bed now, and I shrugged. All the more reason to get dressed without being sneaky! I headed over to my closet. What did I want to wear today?

I picked out a tight black shirt with white lightning bolts in a full-front rectangle pattern. Some were in color, in random places, like pink, blue, green and yellow. Then I picked out my dark blue skinny jeans, a curve-hugging low-cut grey vest with pink pumps with a cute little bow on the side, by the pinky toe. After taking the items off the hook, I placed them over my arm and headed over to my dresser, picking out a bra and underwear set. You had to look cute even under your clothes for yourself, too, you know!