Let us begin!

Let us begin!

By the following Monday classes have already begun. The work is gruelling and most nights I end up flopping onto my bed before 8:00pm. As usual I am running late, I throw on my leotard and pull up some trackies over the top. My hair is an absolute mess but I don't have time to put it up. I throw my hair forward and twist in into a quick messy bun. Then I yank my ugg boots on and hurry dosnt he street and toward the studio. I am the last to arrive and everyone is already stretching and warming up at the barre. Rushing, I do a quick stretching routine then head to the barre for a quick warm up of the muscles. However just moments into my warm up someone gives me a large prod on the shoulders. 'Yes may I help you?' I say dismissively trying to concentrate on rotating my thighs as I lift my leg up onto the barre. 'MOVE.' A firm yet familiar voice booms.

'Ah Phoebe how nice of you to come and say hello!' I say sarcastically.

'O haha, look that's MY spot I always stand there, so move!' She hisses into my ear.

'Why don't you make me?!' I say back sharply.

Phoebe steps back looking stunned, 'What do you just say?!'

'I said: why-don't-you-make- ME?!'

'Look I don't know who YOU think you are but you will soon earn your place here but until then I suggest you move.' She says angrily.

'Well thanks for the suggestion but I think I'll pass, I mean I quite like it here!' I say cheerful as I turn towards the barre practising my glissé totally ignoring Phoebes existence.

'ARGH!' She huffs annoyed, taking her place at the barre just steps behind me. Secretly I'm glowing inside yet I try not to show my happiness of my most recent victory on the outside.

'RIGHT! I hoped you have ALL warmed up thoroughly and are ready to work!' Screeched high pitched voice. 'I am Ms Bloch, your classical ballet, pas-de-deux and performance classes. A timetable is available from the front desk. I expect that you should all arrive at least an 1hour no less than half, before the time the class is due to start. You must bring both your pointe and flat ballet shoes to all classes that I teach. The code of conduct, I do not wish to remind any one that includes YOU Brendan Walsh, is pinned up on the side of the studio door please do take time to read this when you have a chance. Ok LET US BEGIN!' Ms Bloch turns towards the stereo as we position and adjust our body alinement ready for a demanding barre. By the end of pliés the sweat is pouring off my sweating body yet still another 29 exercises to go till centre practices where the work only gets harder from there. We rise and turn towards the barre to begin the exercise of the other side. By the end of the first side of grand- battement, Ms Bloch was beginning to work her way down our side of the barre. 'Ah relax the shoulders there Andrea, there that's better! Rotate, rotate! Pelvis girls, pelvis! Weight over the supporting leg please Elizabeth, there you go! Ah Miss Phoebe nice now soften up a bit and ENJOY the exercise please!' Ms Bloch says encouragingly as she constantly glances at her clipboard full of information about each and every student present. 'Ah you must be Rochelle? I heard lots about you and from the looks of your grand- battement I think I'm going to have to keep my eye on YOU!' She says breaking into a reassuring smile and wink as she walks by. During our quick stretch out before centre practise I can feel Phoebes piercing glare staring from behind. I try to concentrate on stretching my already aching muscles yet I when I hear the other girls whispering and pointing at me I just can't see to focus properly. However soon after Ms Bloch calls everyone into the centre announcing that we won't be starting our usual centre practise today but instead we shall be learning solos from famous ballets. We are each end assigned the same solo yet told to make it our own. We have the rest of the afternoon off from timetable to prepare our choreography. I rush to my locker and desperately search an empty studio, sadly disappointed I traipse back down to the changing rooms. Just as I'm passing studio 5 I hear Ellie calling out my name: 'Hey Rochelle! You searching for an empty studio? Here come share with us we don't mind, do we Phoebe?' Ellie turns towards the dance absorbed Phoebe, Phoebe replies with a reluctant grunt and then carries on with her solo. I dash inside as Ellie beckons me. I dump my bag by the side of the studio and begin to mark through some ideas that have been spinning around in my head. 'Rochelle that's really good, you know!' Ellie says starstruck as I complete a series of grand- jetes and pirouettes, finishing with a beat change.

'Its just something that I've been thinking of.' I say smugly.

'I don't have a CLUE where to even begin with my choreography!' Ellie says stressed. 'Phoebe has been trying to help me figure out what approach I want to come from but I just still can't think of ANYTHING!' She says worryingly.

'Oh so Phoebe has been helping you eh?' Ooo I'd love to see what choreography she was put together!' I say sarcastically excited. I turn on pointe towards Phoebe who is now leaping across the floor. But that isn't the first thing I noticed, a cold look of technicality displayed on her across her face. 'Oh isn't she just a joy to watch?!' Ellie announces generally gasping in shock. I turn towards Ellie with a jaw dropping look on my face not believing what she, Ellie, my BEST friend has just said. 'Yeah, isn't she just.' I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

'Oh it's you.' Phoebe says sharply as she ends her performance,

'Yeah, Ellie let me share the studio space with you guys.' I say staring around the space.

'Well you better make use of it, go on show us YOUR choreography.' Phoebe hisses up close to my face as she practically drags me onto the stage.

'Ok then I shall.' I say smugly. I begin off centre in the corner of the bottom of the stage. The music blares from the speaking and tumble into a unknown world of dance. As slide into the slits after huge leap and roll I left my arms rest beside my exhausted body as my head drops. Elite immediately breaks into ample amounts applause whilst Phoebe stands shocked by my heart felt performance. As I wander towards my bag I give Phoebe a sly smile. Who,at taking a drink Ellie rambles on, praising me for my performance. 'Rochelle, how did you think of all this in so little time?'

'I don't know, I guess I just had a moment of inspiration!' I say secretly smug.

'Well whatever that spark was it worked.' Ellie admits. I envelope Ellie in a sweaty bear hug whilst out of the corner I spot Phoebe attempting a triple pirouette en pointe yet 'rolling' off pointe and onto her ankle in the last turn.

'OUCHHHHHH!' Phoebe screams in agony.

'Phoebe! O NO WHAT HAPPENED?' Ellie says sympathetically rushing over.

'O no help! Someone help...' I mumble sarcastically flapping my arms around.

'Come on lets get you to first aid,' Ellie says whilst wrapping her arms around Phoebe.

'I'll just you know wait, all by myself....again!' I shout after them. Ellie gives me the death over her shoulder as she helps Phoebe hobble out of the studio and into the corridor.

But just as Ellie's ears catch on to what I have just said she plonks Phoebe down on the bench outside the studio and rushes up to me 'Look she is injured ok, I don't know what your problem is. She is really nice you know, so don't be so quick to judge!' Ellie hisses angrily in my face.

'You just don't know who she really is and what she is trying to do, Ellie she is trying to break our friendship, don't you see?' I say desperately gasping Ellie's hands as I stare into her emerald eyes.

'Yeah well maybe it's for the best, I mean based on the way you have been behaving lately. You know Rochelle all I've every tried to do is help you fit in and this is how you repay me?' She says her hand wriggling out of my tight grasp, turning her head away years welling in her eyes.

'What so we shouldn't be friends is that what you are saying, all of this because of HER?' I scream tearing streaming down my face.

'Look I don't know what gives you the right to decide who I should be friends with, if I were you I would keep your little mouth SHUT because I know your secret Rochelle and the way you are going I don't think I'll be keeping it for much longer.'