Dancing on fire

I did it, I'm actually here. The national ballet school in Melbourne. I'm stood wide eyed gasping, not being able to believe the whirlwind of events that has brought me here. Ellie rushes up behind me, startling my already nervous body. 'Hey you!' She squeals, 'Can you believe it WE ARE ACTUALLY HERE! You and me eh who would have thought! The NATIONAL BALLET SCHOOL OF MELBOURNE, just saying it sends shivers through my body!' Ellie continues to babble endlessly, she is obviously as nervous as I am. We link arms and head towards reception. As we walk beneath the sign of the dance school I take a mental photo in my mind of our new dance schools logo and save it to my live long album. We join the back of the cue until finally we reach the reception desk. A short, plump woman sits before us as we gaze fazed by what is happening. 'Yes, may I help you to girls?' She says impatiently drumming her fingers of the desk.

'Ah yes!' I begin to pipe up.

'Yes well, what exactly can I help you with?' The woman replies sharply

'Um well can you please direct us to our dorms?' I ask nervously

'Certainly love, why didn't you just say so?!' The woman replies more cheerily as she taps on the keys of the computer. 'Ok so I just need your names...'

'Of course! Um well I'm Rochelle Wilson and this is Ellie.. I mean Elizabeth Jones. We are from the National theatre feeder ballet school, if that helps.' I explain slowly.

'Ok so your dorms are B11 for you Rochelle and for your friend there...' The woman pauses hysterically giggling at Ellie as she wanders round stroking the walls of the academy. 'Well she is in G9, but you may have to direct her there yourself as I can see she is quite erm what's the word, overwhelmed? So here's a map, it's pretty self explanatory so you should be able to work it our for yourself. And I think that's it! Best of luck to the both of you and any enquiries just come and ask me! Bye!' She says as she waves us off.

I struggle to keep up with all the information but I think I've got it. Ellie and I weave through the corridors and into the street and when we finally reach the accommodation block I'm exhausted as I'm now dragging Ellie and carrying both of my heavy bags. We both skip up the steps and step inside. The accommodation block is heaving with dancers consulting their maps desperately trying to find their dorms. I leave Ellie to find her own way, although I know that's probably a BIG mistake, any how I head up the west flight of stairs. Right at the far side of the corridor door B12 stands. I turn the key in the lock and tumble into the eerie room. Inside two twin beds are placed side by side with only the window will separating them. The opposite twin bed has already been claimed, the bed sheets laid and all the little memorable knick-knacks scatter the room along with hundreds of dancing trophies. I drop my bags on the floor as my fingers grasp the golden stems of the awards. I'm so wrapped up in admiring my roommates awards I don't hear the key turning in the lock. Oblivious to the presence of my roommate I turn and jump with a start as I notice them stood casually behind, waiting for me to turn around and acknowledge their existence. 'Oh I er I was er just er admiring all of your awards, I hope you don't mind too much.' I stutter nervously looking down at my feet.

'Haha hey don't worry about it! Um I'm Nikki,' she says her arms reaching out, 'and you are?'

I stand there staring mouth wide open, 'Oh hi um I'm Rochelle!' I say as I snap out of my dazed mood. Nikki still stands there with her arms wide open, 'Well are you going to hug me or what?' She says giggling, 'I mean we are going to be room mates for the rest of the year!'

'Haha oh right sorry!' I say laughing, 'sorry I'm kind of overwhelmed by the whole situation, I mean me at the NATIONAL BALLET SCHOOL OF AUSTRALIA, I just never thought I'd ever be here in a million years!' I say the reality of the situation sinking in.