Chapter 2

Hermione went deathly pale, and stormed to the other side of the room, next to her friends. Draco Malfoy? She was going to have to be a Malfoy? She stewed about this while Parvati was paired with Astoria Greengrass, and Dean with Seamus. (Yes there will be some lesbian/gay pairings, if you don't like this please just don't read.)

Once everyone was paired up, Professor McGonagall stood infront of them again. "Now you must know, pairings are final, which is why we made sure sexual orientation was thought of as well. I know this is a lot for you all." She looked at her students sadly, "But the law is the law. We shall be adding two new classes to your class schedules and you will not be staying in your dormitories. We added extra wings, when Hogwarts was rebuilt to house all wed couples. For now we shall be using only two wings. There will be four couples per common room, which is set out like a small flat, which shall be explained later. Please follow me."

McGonagall dropped off various couples in different 'flats' and the number of couples with her were dropping. "Okay flat 3, the Longbottoms, the Patils, the Zabinis and the Malfoys will be staying here." Luna was the first one to approach the portrait and Professor McGonagall whispered the password to her, before leaving the 8 students behind, the remaining 6th and 7th years trailing behind her.

"Unity" Luna said in her usual dreamy voice to the portrait, which then swung open and they all grudgingly followed her inside.

Inside was a good size living room, with several cushiony arm chairs, and a large curved couch. A bookcase lined one wall, and the dining table sat just before the kitchen door. To the far side of the room, where four doors, each with a couples name on a plaque.

Hermione and Astoria were the first to storm to their rooms.

Hermione slammed the door behind her and started hyperventilating. How could she be expected to marry a man who had made her life a living hell?

She heard the door open behind her and found she couldn't breath.

"Granger? Granger! For fuck sake!" Draco threw what every he was carrying on the floor, and transfigured his robe into a paper bag, which he handed to Hermione. "Breath into it and try to calm down," Draco pulled her gently to the bed and got her to sit down as she tried to stop her panic attack. She soon got her breathing back to normal and turned the bag back into a Slytherin robe.

"Thanks," she said, eyeing him suspiciously.

"I just didn't want people accusing me of your murder on our first night here is all. Don't think I did it for you," Draco snapped.

"Of course silly me, you only think of yourself!" Hermione retorted, picking up the envelopes Draco had dropped when he came in. There was one address to the both of them, and separate letters, which Hermione started with.

Dear Miss Granger,

We are writing to inform you of the new Marriage Law, which will affect people between the ages of 17 (or who will be 17 in the next year) to 35, who are currently unmarried. You shall get partnered with your most compatible match, and expected to marry within the next two weeks. You and your partner are expected to be pregnant with your first child by the end of the year, and your second within 5 years. If you are lesbian/gay/unable to get pregnant naturally, St Mungos can assist by using both magical and muggle treatment and methods, which shall be announced if needed at a later date.

Parnters cannot be changed, unless in dire circumstances.

Anyone who refuses to marry or have children, will be considered not interested in helping the Wizarding community, and will have their wand snapped and sent to live as a muggle.

We realise this may seem harsh, the the severity of the situation of our population is one we are taking very seriously.

If you are still at school, certain guidelines have been put in place, which you will be informed of shortly.

Hoping you are well

Kingsley Shaklebolt

Minister of Magic

Hermione gaped at her letter, tears threatening to fall, as Draco threw his letter at the wall in frustration. Hermione opened the second letter, walking over to her soon to be husband so they could read it together.

Dear Mr Malfoy and Miss Granger,

To prepare you for the future, Family and Marriage Class and Independent Living Class have been added to your timetables, which you will learn more about tomorrow.

In your flat as you know there are four couples. In this flat, you and your partner have to make breakfast and dinner once a week. In addition, you and your flat mates are responsible for cleaning and keeping the place tidy. House elves have been asked not to do anything, but stock the fridge and cupboards with food. So four days a week you have to eat breakfast and dinner there. Otherwise, the rest of you meals can be eaten in the Great Hall.

Once you both had picked a date within the next fortnight for your wedding, please owl myself and the Ministry.

We also have an added wing for couples to live together separately, in the circumstance that any student is pregnant whilst still at Hogwarts.

If you have any other queries please ask them in your new classes tomorrow.

Professor

The pair sat in silence for what seemed like hours, before Hermione went to her trunk and rummaged around for some modest pyjamas and went into the bathroom on the right side of their room. Draco screamed in annoyance, unsure how to act or what to do. He quickly changed into his pyjamas as he thought. Why Granger? Of all people her? He didn't want to be stuck with her the rest of his life! But there was a nagging feeling too. He felt, dare he admit it, sorry for the curly haired witch.

Draco, while many may not notice, had grown up quite a bit after the war. He cringed at how he used to be, and worse, how he had treated his soon to be wife. Not that he liked her, on the contrary he didn't know her. How can you like or hate someone you don't know?

But he kept his thoughts to himself as he went to bed in (thankfully) one of the two single beds, that he didn't believe would be there for long.

Hermione came back into the room, going straight to bed.

Neither of them slept very much that night.