Chapter 4: The Loyalty of a Raven

Check out the Death x Faith and Malphas x Phoebe fan made music video to the right! It's so awesome! :)

* * * * * *

             Rain poured down from the blackening sky in harsh, pelting, cold splashes, that hit my skin, awakening me from my dream. Immediately, I was confused as to why I was in the position that I was in. I was sprawled out in the middle of an alley on my stomach with my arms at an awkward angle, and my hair and clothes tangled and wet amongst oily puddles.  My one leg had fallen asleep. The throbbing sensation at  my temple was not a headache, I could only conclude that I had somehow been hit in the head or fell. Whatever the injury to my head had been, I was knocked out cold with no recollection as to how.

            Laughter cackled throughout the alley in cruel echoes, startling me.

            "Who's there?" I demanded.

            The laughter died off. I was basked in silence for the longest time, until I heard the caw of a bird to my right. I whipped my head towards the raven, heart in my throat, wincing greatly as my forehead throbbed. The raven cawed again, then flew vertically up the brick wall of the alley, landing on a street lamp.

            "A villain..."

            I tore my gaze all around. I couldn't deceiver their voice through the bombarding, spiteful strikes of the rain around me. "Show yourself!"

            Laughter cackled again, louder. This time I could pinpoint which direction it was coming from. Alarms went off in my head and crab walked away from the direction of the villain, rapidly getting up onto my feet and slamming my back into a brick wall in the process, pressing my back against it and surveillance both ends of the alley.  I squinted my eyes around the dim ally and tried to sit up, a black mass spread along the ground, blanketing me like a thick shadow. I heard the sudden flaps of many birds and more blanketing shadows creeping towards me, until they all shrunk back like an elastic band towards one source, forming the silhouette of a man, who leaned on the opposite brick wall of the alley, watching me with his black eyes.

            "Malphas," I breathed out, recalling the vivid dream I had witnessed moments before. What were the odds of seeing him after that dream? "What are you doing here?" I asked.

            "Your reaper side took over and you lost control. Give it a moment and you'll remember, love," he replied gently. I stared at him in confusion for a while, before he stepped away from the shadows, his black, bloodied fangs exposed in a wide, evil grin. "Actually, perhaps I could help you regain your memories..." He motioned to my feet with one gloved hand. "You're welcome."

            I looked down at my feet, where a dead man lay with his eyes viciously pecked out. It all came back to me.

            I was curled up in a ball against an ally wall with my head in-between my trembling knees. It was cold. Night. Windless. I should have been warm, but an endless chill had hibernated beneath my new black leather attire. This was before it had began to rain, and a  few moments after I had heard a gunshot not too far away from my location. The sound had triggered something inside of me that I had stored away for two weeks. Fear. My hand was clutched to my stomach over a black, intricate mark, in recollection of the little blonde girl in the market who had been shot and almost killed. The blonde girl who was saved a cruel, ruthless Fallen who would break her years after.

            Sighing, I took the wad of cash out of my pocket and started to count. I definitely wasn't in the safest part of Chicago, but I didn't care. I didn't care about anything, really, just the fact that I had another wad of cash in my pocket from another sucker business man that I could use to pay for another night at a nearby motel.