The Call

Fitz paced nervously back and forth in the bedroom of their shared flat, his fingers tightly clenched around his phone. The echo of water running came from the adjoining bathroom, Jemma having just entered the shower.

He sighed nervously, tapping his fingers on the small box in his pocket and gearing up to make the most important phone call of his entire life.

Just do it, his mind muttered, fed up.

So he did, fingers shaking as they typed in the number set.

It rang twice before a click came from the other end, a gruff voice answering. "Hello?"

Fitz gulped, his voice raising in pitch. "He-Hello, sir. Mr. Simmons. Sir."

The voice sighed. "Fitz, what have we talked about?"

"Not to call you sir, I know. I know, just . . . " Fitz trailed off, scratching nervously at his shirt collar. "I have something important to ask you,"

"Yes?" Mr. Simmons prompted, voice deep but gentle.

"IwanttoaskforJemma'shandinmarriage,"

The words flooded out before he could stop them, and he swore to the cosmos his heart stopped in his chest. It was like the medpod all over again, his chest completely unable to reach oxygen.

When still silence came from the other end, Fitz jumped into his back up speech.

"It's just I love her, sir. She's been my best friend for over a decade and I can't imagine my life without her. We've been through a lot and I know she's your little girl -"

"No, Fitz."

He was cut off by a chuckle. And in that instant, he swore his heart had started only to once again stop.

"Oh, okay then," his heart heavy, he pulled the phone from his ear and raised his thumb to press the end call button.

"Not like that!" Another voice stopped him, prompting him to raise the phone again to his ear. "I just can't believe it took you so bloody long, boy!"

Fitz's eyebrows scrunched. "What?"

It was bad enough they were saying no, did they really have to be so mean about it?

Mrs. Simmons popped on the line, giggling hard. "You're both geniuses, aren't you? Of course it's yes! Honestly, I'm surprised you two haven't already gotten hitched in Vegas or something."

Fitz reddened. "My mum's a bit traditional, I think she'd kill me if I didn't show up in a tux."

A beat passed, more soft laughter from the other end of the line. Then Fitz seemed to fully comprehend their full statement.

"Oh my god, thank you! Thank you both! I'm going to take care of her, I promise!"

"No worries, boy," Mr. Simmons came back on. "We'll see you at the ceremony,"

"Yeah," Fitz breathed, even as her parents ended the call. "Yeah,"

I'm getting married. He smiled dreamily, laying back onto the bed.

Then he sat straight up again.

Holy crap I'm getting married.