10. NAARU

Sarah rose early feeling surprisingly refreshed from an undisturbed sleep

Sarah rose early feeling surprisingly refreshed from an undisturbed sleep. She had expected to spend the night tossing and turning following her small spat with the Archmage, but sleep had been kind and took her into a land of sublime nothingness.

She washed and dressed hurriedly. Her impatience for things to move forward had her rushing about her room, trying to make sure she had everything before she ventured to the dining area. There she enquired with the innkeeper if Vindicator Ocel had breakfasted yet. Disappointment befell her when she was informed that he had eaten about half an hour earlier and then left on important business. The innkeeper was reluctant to divulge any more even under Sarah's probing stare. He merely told her that the paladin's colleague knew what it was about. She clucked her tongue, trying to harness her annoyance. Of course Khadgar would know! All she could hope for was that the important business entailed her finally being granted an audience with A'dal.

Drew and Erik joined her for breakfast, both a little rough looking.

"What time did you two get to bed?" She asked with a look of antipathy towards them.

"Late!" Drew answered, his eyes puffy and his hair messed up.

Sarah dug in her bag and pulled out a brush. She stood behind him and tugged out the matted mess that was his black mane. He winced now and again, flapping his arms about trying to ward her off. Erik laughed, at Drew's useless attempts at thwarting her rapacious grooming.

"There!" she said, finally satisfied that she had made him a little more respectable. Erik continued chortling until Sarah feigned annoyance and held the brush threateningly; a clear sign that she would sort his hair next. He quickly stopped laughing. They smirked amiably at each other then continued with breakfast.

"Where's Khadgar?" Drew asked hesitantly.

"I assume he is with Ocel," she answered dismissively, pushing her empty plate aside. "Come on you two, I want to get down there and see what is happening."

When they had all finished, they left the inn and took the giant stone lift down to the Terrace of Light. There they crossed the court to the central plaza and in through the arch to where the naaru hovered within their celestial brilliance.

Sarah saw Ocel. Khadgar approached him from the opposite side of the chamber. It seemed they had not been together after all, she mused. She also noted he looked troubled, as if he had not slept. A twinge in her heart served a painful reminder that she still cared. He glanced over then quickly turned away and engaged in conversation with Ocel.

This, she knew, wasn't going to get any easier. She finally admitted that deep down she had really hoped he'd still felt for her. That just perhaps, there was a little glimmer of hope. After his counteraction to her last night however, she was utterly devastated to find it was indeed over. Having said that, attempting to slap him had been way over the mark, and she probably deserved his ire.