The First Four

Seven days after the event...

"Can you help her?" Ami asked, peering over her sisters shoulder.

Lues tutted, shooing her younger sibling away. Returning to her patient, she gently lifted her lids, shining a light into her eyes. Her pupils were blown. Reaching for her stethoscope, she listen to the girl's chest. Sighing, she straightened.

"You said War found her rambling in the woods before she collapsed?"

"A-ha."

"What kind of keeper lets his ward run around till she burns herself out?" Lues frowned, holding the girl's arm and looking for a good vein.

"A bad one?" Ami answered, cringing as the needle pierced skin. "Maybe she's a runaway?"

Taping the drip down, Lues looked at her sister. "Could be or she's the one Gabe and Mike having been hunting."

"And if she is?" Ami asked, applying the cold press Lues handed her.

"We're supposed to be neutral."

"We can't just hand her over. You know what she is." Shaking her head, Ami stepped back from the collapsable cot and let her sister continue to work.

"We're not meant to be her keepers." Lues whispered as the girl stirred in her sleep.

"That doesn't mean we can't help her. If she's the one their hunting, She has no one to show her the way."

Lues grabbed Ami's arm and lead her out of the tent. Shielding her eyes from the midday glare, Lues focused on her sibling.

"Be that as it may, we're not supposed to interfere."

"She needs to learn her limits and how to control what is she. If she doesn't, she won't be able to function correctly. So by definition by not interfering we're interfering. We'd be preventing her from working properly."

Lues frowned and shook her head. Throwing her hands up in exasperation, she couldn't think of a rebuttal, only her sister would invent a paradox to prove her point. "Fine! " she huffed. "But she stays here with you."

Scowling, Lues flipped the tent flap and returned to her patient. Leaving Ami grinning from ear to ear.

Around her, the fair was in full swing. To her right, and at the corner coined the 'candy shop'. Sid manned his cotton candy station with a beady eyes as did many of the sweet vendors who'd tasted their product -both natural and supernatural one too many times.

Each one wary of the balloon peddler on the opposite side, whose slogan 'fly high as kite'- meant in literal sense rather than the obscure, looked on with pin-picked irides and an eagerness to poach the sweet shop's paying customers. With something inhaled rather than eaten.

Beyond them, erect and swinging - the ghost ship. Out on deck the ship's master hollered orders, catching her eye, he tipped his feathery hat before thrusting his peg leg down and quietening the ghostly wails of the souls shackled in the gallery below.

But In the centre of it all stood her brothers pride and joy - The big tent, or the pit as most like to call it. With its blood red plumage which bellowed outwardly on wind, carrying with it the brutal music of flesh meeting flesh.

The flap to the entrance whipped open, War with his fiery red hair snapping wildly, his face taunt and his stride determined, followed rapidly in its wake. Two pesky angels trailing cautiously behind him. The conclaves pets who knew all to well the dangers of entering the grounds.

The conclave being a faction of Angels and men whose unmoving view of black and white was not welcome among the fair. A place where the outcast and rejects of both sides congregated. A place where blurred lines and multi-colour existed.