Four days after the event

From: Cardinal Giovanni Moriea
Subject: Rites and sacraments.
Date: 21/11/10
To: Father Thomas O'Connor
-------------------------------------------------------

Thomas, my old friend....

I heard the news.. I just.... I can't imagine what you are going though...
I'm terrible sorry...

It pains me to think, you did not feel you could come to me with your grief. Despite our positions, have we not always talked freely with one another?

Rest assured I will personally look into the failings of the guardian sent to protect your family. I know it may not be of any consolation to you but perhaps the answers I find will bring you some closure.

I know you must have your reasons for closing your heart to me. I can only assume and fear it has something to do with your recent inquiry into the legend of St Romanus and Gargouille.

On to your second request, I will grant you the answers you seek, if it is but a small comfort I can offer. However, Thomas I pray please be careful...

The story begins a long time ago, when France was blighted by fearsome beasts - fire breathing creatures of ancient magic and old religion.

St Romanus or Romain as we know him, sought to eradicate the infection of the scaled demons. Aided by one condemned to death, he went about his quest. Capturing and subduing the unearthly animals. Leading them to Rouen where they were to be destroyed.

Fires were built and their bodies burned however when the smoke dwindled, Romain found theirs heads still within the smouldering ash. He believed their capability to breathe flames left them untouched, it had somehow made them tempered against such temperatures.

A dark power lingered within the remains, a power, Romain - naively perhaps, thought to use for the greater good. To protect the church from the evils which still walked among us.

Mounting their severed heads upon our great cathedrals, he rejoiced - praised the new found stone protectors. To celebrate his triumph, Rouen held a festival, granting Romain permission to absolve the condemned man who aided him in his plight. And so began the Rite of Romain.

Now you asked, why the ceremony was no longer used? When the legend ended on a happy note?

Well, the rite itself is relatively harmless, essentially it nothing more than a sacrament of penance, a healing of the soul, absolution of sin and satisfaction offered.

However the rite of Romain can not be performed without awakening the gargoyle. As with most of our sacred sacraments, the rite is symbolic. The condemned chained by theirs sins, absolved by the man of the cloth while watched over by the eyes of the goji.

There in lies danger - my friend, The gargoyle are mindless creatures. To control them, you must immerse your mind with theres, become a collective body. A powerful temptation for any man, Thomas. To command such beasts with a mere thought, to hold great power within your hand.

And this why the history books purged the rite from their pages. Despite Romain's good intentions, power - such as the power the gargoyles possess, corrupted even the most virtuous of men.

A disease took a hold of our beloved churches, taking root from the inside and spreading outwards. So many good men fell pray to the darkness and for the first time the shepherds were lost.

The Vatican had no choice - our numbers were dwindling, our flocks were losing their faith, they refused to lose anymore to lure of the sleeping dragons. And so, they forbade any to wake demons from their slumber. A edict which saved many lives and ultimately the future of the church.

Time eventually eroded the memory of the rite of Romain.

Thomas.....

For the sake of my sanity, please ask God for guidance before you turn towards these demons for help, in some foolish attempt to right a wrong done to your family.

Just, please be careful dear friend....

Such acts must be considered carefully and defying a direct order from his holiness will come with dire consequences.

I will pray you make the right decision, brother. Do not let history repeat itself.

God speed.

Giovanni.

************************************