Chapter 3

Since I got to Jack's house early, we decided that it wouldn't hurt anyone if we started working early.

First  Jack wanted to teach me how to fight. And I mean like punching and kicking and all that stuff. Luckily, Ms. Ellis wasn't home so we could train without being yelled at and with no distractions.

It was just me and Jack. Ryan went over to play with Grace for a while. We set to work.

First He taught me how to punch with malice "the key to punching is thinking about something that made you mad. get the energy from that memory and take it out on the person your fighting."

Then Jack taught me how to tackle someone properly without them flipping you over.

He demonstrated on me which I didn't necessarily agree too. when He got me  down on the ground, He showed me  how to pin someone the right way so they couldn't get up. I blew my hair out of my face. I just realized what color Jack's eyes were; a bright green.

Jack looked up at me and said "Sadie are you even trying?" "Course I am! Your just bigger than me! Look I'm like a stick and your this... Well built log!"

My face grew red after I realized what I just said. I just told him he had a nice body... Oh Gosh please kill me now!

"Oh then you really fight like a girl!"
He gave me a hand up "oh really?" I smirked and raised my eyebrow. "I'd be careful what you say around a book worm... They might just have teeth!"

I threw a punch at his head, which he reluctantly moved. He grabbed my arm so I swung me leg at his arm and made contact. He released his grasp on my arm and I pushed him down while he was distracted.

I tackled him and pinned him like he showed me earlier. We stared at each other for a minute, he started to lean up towards me, I leaned towards him, but before our lips touched I heard two loud screams.

I jolted upward and got to my feet and looked around frantically. Jack got up and we started to run to my house.

Now I was the one screaming "Grace, Grace!" Jack was yelling "Ryan! Where are you?" when we got to the house, they weren't inside. I started to panic.

We ran to the backyard and we saw Grace and Jack. They looked petrified and frightened out of their minds. I ran to them. I got on my knees and asked both of them

"What happen? What's wrong?" they looked at each other and Ryan started the explaining.

"We were playing in the backyard near the woods and we saw this man placing something next to the large birch tree.

He took out a knife and took a piece of paper. He stabbed the knife into it!

When he realized that we were there, he took his finger to shush us, like he was telling us to say nothing at all. So we screamed, when he heard you screaming our names, he ran back into the woods."

when Ryan finished Grace had something to add. "Sadie, you kinda looked like him." I looked at Jack and I had the same expression as him...

Shock.

I didn't know what to say. But nod and agree. I took the kids inside and made them a snack. Jack walked into the house reading the note from the tree, and something else in his hand, I walked over and looked at the paper it said

"I know what you two are up too, I've been watching you since you moved in. Me and my 'friends' want a good fight from you kids, so we all voted to help you out a bit. So we got Sadie the archery equipment she was looking at, and Jack we got you the dagger. I hope you find out who this is soon, so our fight can be even more interesting. I hope to fight you soon, see you when we rob the street.

-THE WHITNEY ROBBERS"

When I read that I was so frightened, I realized that I was shaking. "Jack, should we call the police? I mean the bow, the dagger, they are literally inviting us to a death fight!"

Jack thought for a moment, then he answered "No, this is going to be our fight, we have to protect our home. And besides, any police officer who captured one, ended up dead in the street they just robbed."

"Yes, but Jack, I don't think we want to end up like that either!"

"Well Sadie, do you honestly think that the robbers will hurt kids like us?"

"Yes!! I say yes because they literally invited us to a death battle! Did you read the note?!"

"yes I did, but sometimes you need to take a stand and fight for what you love! And I will do whatever it takes to protect everyone!"

I didn't know what to say. I had a choice, keep going and fight, or stop and just let the robbers come.

"Jack, are we going to continue with everything? Or just stop for good."

"well, I'm going to continue. You can stop if you want."

I decided to say one of my favorite quotes
"Well there is one rule... YOLO"

Jack replied to that by putting his hand out and saying

"YOLO?"

I put my hand on top of his.

"YOLO." We both burst out laughing.

after that I said we needed to start training with our new weapons. Jack knew a place where we can practice with them.

After a quick healthy snack, we grabbed a bag and stuffed everything into it and put it in the front basket of my bike and we headed off.

I asked Jack how far it is, he said it was just down the road and over 2 blocks. We peddled as fast as we could. When we got there, I realized it was a forest.

"Hey Jack what are we doing here? How are we going to practice?"

Jack didn't answer and I got a little bit nervous about what was going to happen.

We rested our bikes down against a big oak tree, and walked into the forest far enough so no one can see us or (hopefully) hear us.

Jack stopped at a really old tree. I sat down unpacking what we brought. My bow, arrows, Jack's dagger, 2 apples and 2 water bottles.

I gave jack his dagger. And I slung the quiver full of arrows on my back.

Jack fastened his sheath through the belt holes in his jeans. I grabbed my bow and asked "Ok what now? There's nothing to train with!"

Jack took out his dagger and started to engrave something in one of the trees, first a big circle, the a smaller one, and smaller, then I realized that he was drawing a target.

I smirked a bit, but it was mostly an embarrassed smirk. "smartass..."

When he was done, he went to a different tree and drew a person. I then realized that he made a kind of target range.

He would strike at the body while I shot at the target on the tree. The arrows are sharp enough to go through the tree.

I was really happy that we are doing this so we have some skill to use during the fight.

After we finished we biked back home. When we dropped the weapons at home (I hide them in the garage behind some old boxes)

I met Jack in the front yard. And we sat down on the front steps. I sat down next to Jack and I was ready to walk him home when he said "Hey Sadie, can I tell you something?"

"sure. What is it?"

"I really like you. And I'm glad your on my team"

He leaned in and kissed me. When we pulled away, I looked in his eyes and kissed him back.

After that I went inside. And I plopped on my bed and fell asleep smiling.