His Reluctant Mistress

Prologue

15th May 1820

  Mansfield Manor.

To,

The Duke of Weighbridge,

Lord Adam Davenport.

Dear Lord Davenport,

I must confess I am at the end of my patience, hence prompting the writing of this missive. I am not a woman of many words so I will do us both the pleasure by going straight to the point. Please cease your nefarious hunting activities on my property or I shall be forced to take the necessary steps to ensure your aggravating trespassing comes to an end.

While you at, would you be so kind as to tone down the awful noise that spews out due to your endless parties? It disturbs my evenings devotions in a most annoying manner indeed. I shall be most grateful if you would comply immediately for us to remain on friendly terms as neighbours. Thank you for your kind cooperation,

                                                                                               Lady Catherine Abbington.

  18 May 1820

  Weighbridge House.

To,

Lady Catherine Abbington,

Of no particular title,

Dear Lady Abbington,

I must confess I am sorry you have reached the end of your saintly patience, and utterly amused that for a woman of so very few words, you have certainly managed to pass across your opinion quite soundly. As regards my alleged hunting on your property, may I remind you that there are very clear boundaries between my property and yours and perhaps you would like to refresh your memory on where yours actually end. The stream at the edge of the woods is my territory, and I shall persecute you for trespassing should I catch you or yours there again.

And please do endeavor to concentrate more on your prayers or sewing or whatever it is that you do rather than spying on my activities.

                                                                                                  Lord Adam Davenport.

A/N

Hey people, if you're wondering if Catherine Abbington is any relation to Laurel from The Compromised Duchess, you are correct. She is Laurel's spinster aunt, and was mentioned in chapter 11 of TCD during the family dinner. Dunno why I decided to write about her, but well....enjoy. And you don't have to read TCD to understand this story, though there will be references to some of the characters.