Tinted Calmness

SURROUNDED by the narcissus blooming beautifully in the Fields of Asphodel, the lovers sat in an embrace. Hades rested his head upon Persephone's lap, letting the maiden's hand play with his hair. He let happiness wash him, as memories of the days they shared played in his mind.

A smile on his lips as he closed his eyes and he could hear her laughter at his smile, her fingers stopping from their caress of his hair to trace the smile on his mouth. He huffed as his hand came up and guided hers to where it had been, making her laugh again as she complied.

            He could not recall a time when he had been this happy, this sated. After her disastrous arrival, they had spent the days after in bliss. He had shown her his home, his palace, his pantheon. She had been in awe of it, of every nook and cranny he showed her. Had enchanted the spirits serving him and later, his court.

The judges found her charming and had more often than not let Hades be instead of grudgingly letting him leave court whenever the need arrived. He had never felt guiltier or more relieved. Thanatos, as impenetrable as always treated her politely and Persephone seemed to make it a game to see him react. Charon shyly retreated to his old man guise instead of the young youth he was at Persephone's awe when another of her imaginings failed her.

            As days passed, his love for her grew in the wake of her kindness and courage. He felt it strongly when she made an effort to make sure the souls in the Fields of Asphodel were comforted and played with those in Elysium. He first encountered her courage as he brought her to Cerberus. Cerberus' beastly looks with its three heads and gigantic body scared her but as she saw the dog succumbed to Hades, she gathered her courage and approached it.

Cerberus had never taken to anyone as quickly as to Persephone. His love blossomed as he brought her near the pits of Tartarus as she requested even as he adamantly refused. She shivered and flinched at every scream but as she saw him standing tall, face blank, she embraced him and soothed him, telling him she understood.

            His peace shattered as he felt the tug of another soul taken. Souls after souls had been taken from the world of the living to his. Thanatos had to work to the most of his capabilities, Charon had never been richer with the fare he collected from the souls he ferried and lines upon lines marred the court as the souls waited to be judged. There had never been such chaos in his land before, even not from the war Ares ignited nor the plague when Apollo remained as flighty as ever as he chased after Artemis.

Temper ignited him at the carelessness Demeter portrayed. He knew it was his fault, for taking granted in Persephone being with him. He had thought, at most Demeter would curse him or Zeus preferably, never in his mind she would unleash her pain on the mortals. She had been as compassionate as Gaea sometimes that was the utmost praise he gave her.

Her disregard angered him for even if he was drunk with Persephone, not once he shirked his duty. She reminded him again of why he blissfully ignored his siblings but he knew, Demeter should never be ignored by him again for her protectiveness of Persephone legendary and like an addict, he shall need her to sustain him.

He was careless.

"Is something troubling you, beloved?"

He closed his eyes as he reached for her hand and kissed it. "Nothing of your concern, little one."

"Everything that concerns you is my concern, Hades."

"Not the things that shall grieve you, little one, believe me in this."

She huffed as she waved a reprimanding finger, "I have stated time again Hades, that neither am I a child nor ignorant. I am not your little one, though that endearment of yours grew on me... Still! I believe I would like to be your equal when I am queen. Sharing everything with you, your happiness, and your grief."

"That sounds temptingly wonderful, little one."

"Then be tempted. I want to be your queen as I have said yet again. I wish to be bound to you, to be one you can lean on. Can you not grant me this, Hades?"

            Hades' silence answered her as per the norm when the question was thrown.