Falling Leaves

FOR TIME again many had not thought much of the land of Hades, besotted by the brightness of Zeus' domain and vastness of Poseidon's. It was rather blithe idiocy seeing that the realm housed mighty beings; housing Nyx, Helios' counterpart that ruled the night, the Moirai whom Zeus himself feared for their unflinching countenance and of Tartarus, the darkness itself for whose name marked the deepest torture within Underworld.

It was also there where the goddess whom Zeus favored resided, the Goddess of Magic, Witchcraft, the Night, Moon, Ghosts, and Necromancy. A goddess before the reign of Zeus who mortals seek protection and that which Zeus looked upon with respect.

            Hecate was a goddess many referred to as tender-hearted. Not one to indulge in companions but with kindness that belied many. Rare that she emerged in Olympus, much rather busying herself in her arts in the calmness of the Underworld. It was during one of her experiments Thanatos came upon her doorstep. The goddess left her station as she went to the god, to see what he had wanted of her. The ever stern Thanatos gave her a polite nod even as she smiled warmly.

"Lord Hades had sent me to call upon you, Lady Hecate."

"For what, may I ask, Thanatos?"

Thanatos was silent before answering, "It best you hurried and bring with you whichever potion your instinct advised you."

Hecate pursed her lips before nodding and went back inside, carrying a few vials with her as she went back to Thanatos. They began their journey back to Hades' palace, Thanatos with haste and solemn whilst Hecate pondered. On Hades' threshold, upon his dais was Hades himself, embracing a maiden with lively orange hair, a tender look upon their faces. Their arrival startled the pair and Hades released the maiden, both facing them and as her eyes saw the maiden, Hecate let out a low gasp, earning a wry glance from Hades that told many.

"Persephone, you might hear of her, the goddess Hecate," introduced Hades as he led Kore, Persephone by his hands to stand before her.

"Oh, my! I have never thought to meet Lady Hecate herself. I have heard much of you, my lady!" Persephone exclaimed in awe before turning to Hades with a rueful smile, "You should have told me when you mentioned Hecate earlier you were talking of Lady Hecate, Hades!" She admonished.

"I assume you would know. Who else might I refer to?"

"You give me far too much credit in spite of our meeting, Hades."

"Ah, yes. The bumbling girl who knew not nor fear the Lord of the Underworld."

"Hush, Hades. I imagined the brother of Zeus to be rather different than what was presented."

"A monstrous face or skeletal, I presume?"

She giggled. "None of that. I imagined old and weary though now that I think of it, your countenance does suggest so despite your youthful looks, dearest."

Hades huffed in amusement, a smile on his lips as he gazed at Persephone with fondness. Their demeanors left much curiousness to Hecate. Though she felt rather bemused by their attraction, the presence of Persephone or Kore as others knew her as left bile in her throat. Never had she seen Hades so happy, so in love and neither had she seen Kore so but she knew that there could be a heavy cost for their happiness should she knew Demeter well.

She did, unfortunately, did knew Demeter well despite their limited encounters, her age and wisdom served well. Her curiosity earned no more tamper and she cleared her throat, gaining their attention and breaking their jest. The two faced her, Hades with indifference while Kore with a flush in her cheeks.

"I will appreciate, Hades, should you tell me what need you have of me here?"

"Of course. Hecate, I would like to ask you to see to Persephone, see what might ail her during her journey and if you might, accompany her to the room the Lampades had prepared for her."

"I would gladly do so for Kore though I must ask for your audience after, Hades."

"... You need not ask for it, Hecate."

            With a brisk nod, Hecate approached the maiden, grasping her hands gently in hers as she smiled kindly, "Come now, Kore. Let me see to your wounds and chamber."

"Oh, no! There is no need my lady, I..."

"Nonsense. We shall go and have a chat while we are at it. Let us leave Hades to aged, weary thoughts."

"Very well, then. I would also prefer you to address me by Persephone, my lady if that is not impudent of me."

            The older goddess nodded as she guided Kore, Persephone with their joined hands. She saw Persephone waving to Hades with a tinkling laugh and the god, to her surprise looked at her with such weariness it made her giggle once more as they walked through the lit halls towards where a Lampade waited for them. They reached a tall door lavishly decorated with precious stones, a chamber Hecate knew Hades only spared for those he held dearly and highly such as Hera, Hestia, and his mother Rhea.

As they entered, Hecate instructed Persephone to sit on the bed, her magic flowed as she scanned the girl and was rather relieved to find no serious injuries albeit fatigue with few bruising that already healed. She handed the maiden a vial and the girl drank obediently much to her surprise seeing her jests with Hades.

"How have you come to know Hades, Kore, no, Persephone?" Hecate asked after she finished.

Setting the vial aside, she smiled prettily, dreamy, "I met him, my lady, while I was accompanying mother at father's pantheon. I was waiting for her, as Hades arrived in his chariot. Of course, I see him naught with his helmet on but as soon as he took it off, he was a very fine man, I had thought," she stopped abruptly at that, her cheeks flushed. "Dear me, I should not have mentioned that aloud, shan't I?"

Hecate found the maiden rather fetching then, as she laughed, shaking her head. At her expression, aghast, she soothed the girl, "Yes, Hades is quite handsome in his ways. Too bad his sullen moods and desire to stay cooped here dimmed him much compared to your suitors."

Persephone shook her head then, her smile wistful and wisdom in her eyes, "I think not, my lady. Hades might not be what one finds handsome in ways similar to my father but he is so. He is wise, noble, and confident in his ways, things that made him a far cry to them."

"You are not all you seem in the years I saw of you through others, Persephone."

"I believe I have courage now, to be more of me than ever because of Hades and I love him so for that as well as all else."

She smiled kindly, "I see. I advise you to rest, child. Though you are unharmed, there are many which are different here than the world above, and rest might do you good."

"I shall heed your words, my lady. Thank you."

            As she saw Persephone climbing into the quilts, Hecate exited the room and made her way towards Hades. She saw him standing by the windowsill, his gaze towards the skies of Underworld. She approached him and stood beside him. Receiving no word from him, Hecate took it as a sign for her to begin. "This has no peaceful outcome Hades."

"I know."

"Demeter shall not be quiet of this."

"I know."

"Neither would Zeus."

He chuckled humorlessly, "Oh, I know."

"Why this idiocy Hades?"

"I believe Aphrodite had said so before, how idiotic love makes one."

"I trust you to be above that, Hades."

"I thank you for your trust in me Hecate, for your kindness but it is kindness for me that had started this and I fear, my heart has become rather selfish."

"Then I wish you all the best, Hades but I will not be silent should something happen."

"I know. You are too tender-hearted for that, Hecate."

            With that, she left Hades in his musings as she contemplates.