Animals

"Animals," I snort, "all of them. Animals!"

The fires light the night sky, and I scowl at the creatures waltzing in the shadows. She peeks her head out the window, wide blue eyes stretching larger as she witnesses them dancing and chatting. She is young, she does not understand what they are truly doing. All she understands is the boisterous sound of creatures that seem happy together. I do not want to destroy her innocent illusion of the mortals that spin and twirl beneath us, but I cannot have her in danger. I must protect her at all costs.

"They look like they are having fun," she whispers, sadness deep in her beautiful, melodic voice.

I kneel down so I can look her in the eye. She stares back with such unwavering hope. I feel my heart break as I shake my head. "I'm sorry, Princess. Mortals are not to be interacted with."

She pouts. "They do not seem dangerous. They seem to be happy."

"I know, my dear, I know that is how they seem. But they are turkeys who believe themselves peacocks. They pretend their dull feathers are instead a beautiful plumage. The saddest part of their existence is they could be peacocks, but instead of worrying to paint their own feathers brightly, they worry more to dull each others plumes. I have no respect for such creatures, and they would ruin you, my passionate little darling."

She heaves a deep sigh, her stark white hair falling into her porcelain face. I cannot help myself from reaching for her hands and holding them tightly. She glances at me, and I give her the most reassuring smile I can manage. She lifts her lips in my direction. The Princess is not happy, though, and she will not pretend that my comments are going to make her feel better. I struggle to keep the grimace from my mouth. She is too pure for the mortals. Her mother has told me this time and time again. I cannot take her to see what the world truly is. Not yet, at least.

"Do you interact with the mortals?" she asks me, softly so as not to upset me. Perhaps she is hoping I will not hear her, but my hearing is excellent.

I shake my head gently. "No, Princess. I am forbidden as well. Mortals are deceiving creatures, and anyone who has a heart of gold is not welcome to speak with them."

"My father speaks with them," she reminds me dully.

I freeze for a moment. I am now treading on thin ice, and I must gauge her body language before I can continue. She does not seem to believe I am speaking of treason. Her father is a sensitive topic for me and our people. "Yes, he does," I agree softly. "Your father has offered himself as a sacrifice to our purity. He knows there must be some connection with those who worship us. It truly is noble to let himself be corrupted in such a way."

"Does my father like those people?"

I withhold a wince at the word 'people.' "Your father sees them for something more than the rest of us do. He understands them better. I would not go so far as to say he necessarily likes them, though. Mortals are difficult to like."

She nods as if my words make sense. I heave a mental sigh of relief. The Princess is a wild creature, and she is very protective. I have overstepped my boundaries before. She grows sullen, distant from me. Those days worry me, because it is my job to keep her safe. I am the closest thing to a friend she is allowed until she is older. The Queen has demanded I do anything to keep her safe first, then worry about being kind. I cannot help but worry what it will do to her to grow into a position of power with no experience of others. I must teach her this, since her mother does not seem concerned with it.

"Mother does not want me to take the throne," she suddenly blurts. 

My head snaps towards her. "What?" I whisper. "Who told you that?"

She blushed suddenly. "No one. I heard the maids speak."

"Princess, I am certain the maids simply were gossiping. I have told you how they are, and how dangerous gossip is."

"Then why does she not wish for me to interact with my future people?"

For a young child, she seems to have grown a rather large understanding of the world she lives in. "I am certain it is simply to ensure your innocence is not compromised."

"Our people are pure of heart. You have said it yourself. Why would mother need me to stay away from them then?"

"Princess... I really believe you do not understand her intentions. They are not meant to hurt you, but instead to protect you."

"Has she told you her intentions?" she murmured. Her eyes reflected a sorrow beyond her years.

I blush. "Well, no, not exactly. She simply wants me to reassure you that this is for the best."

"The best for who? Me? The people? Her?"

I could not believe the Princess was so close to the border of treason. I hate how easy it is to understand her question. Mostly because I have the same fears. I cannot exactly tell the Princess this, though, can I? I would be condemned to death. The Queen would never allow me to live after agreeing with her daughter's fears. I was meant to keep her safe first, though, was I not? Did that include keeping her safe from her own mother? I open my mouth, still hesitant to tell her what I think.

"Invasion!" a voice suddenly cries. "Protect the Princess!"

Maids begin to flood into the room, grabbing at the Princess. I snap into protector mode, and immediately shove all other beings away from the child. She is in my arms and I am sprinting before she can say a word. I hear her scream to me above the roar of the castle.

"Where will we go?" she cries out.

"To the mortals."