The War and the Girl Chapter 3

Her proud smile said it all, her old soft hands clasped my face and brought it closer, she kissed me gently on my forehead. With just that kiss, her and her dogs, had disappeared like ghosts, she was only staying behind to see me that one last time before she could move on. To see if I ever made it though my pain. Though if you listened closely you could hear her singing the lullaby that always made me fall into a deep sleep.

Jake had shaken me awake, come morning, he had fixed breakfast in the rotten old kitchen. The whole castle was slowly falling apart piece by piece. I loved this place so much I wanted to live here for as long as I could. but I couldn't not when my goals had already been set. I was to leave this place and let it crumble into the ground. I would leave with out some digital pictures of every room, every hall, every tower, and every dog kennel house. This place was my child hood stomping grounds, I just wasn't going to leave it to welt into the soil with out photos of the place that would last for ever.

The last thing we did in the castle was grab Gran-Grans favorite gun. The gun that saved me from a full grown bear. As well as a mountain lion. I was going to miss her so much at least I had something that would last longer than her body.

We were out on the hunt for food for the night when we spotted some of the younger pups from Gran-Grans dog breeding. They were already broken into traces if we put one on them, they could help Goliath pull that huge of a load in the sled. I motioned jake to stay put far away from the sled. I walked up to the dogs with Goliath they swarmed around us like we were there last family they had. They looked like they hadn't eaten in days. I guessed that was who long she had been dead, I motioned the dogs towards the sleigh and the looked into my face, looked at the traces, soon were running towards there favorite place to be.

In there traces, we loaded yet again, I had one last thing to do, I promised Goliath that we go and kill a wild boar. I unleashed him and a few other dogs that were experienced in boar hunting. Jake was very unsure of what was going to happen.

A knife held in my hand sharpened to a diamond edge, Goliath in the lead of four dogs was chasing a 700lbs wild Russian boar into the clearing towards the tree that I was waiting in. The wild beast passed the tree with speed but I was faster than it. I latched my arms around its neck opening the blade.

“Goliath! COME!”

With that word screeching out of my lungs he landed squarely on one side of the boar knocking it off balance. With a swoosh motion I slit the neck, blood spilled over the white snow. The other dogs grabbed hold of the legs and started to drag the beast over to the sled.

Jake stood there mouth open,

“Are you in awe of my handy work. Jake can you help me clean this beast would you.”

He nodded his head yes, and we set to work, I slit the belly wide open exposing the organs and the rib cage. I sliced the meat, placing them into weather proof nylon bags. The only thing left was the hid and the left over meat which was given to the dogs that night were we camped.

The dogs left no meat on the boar, the only thing left was its bones. We cleaned up, and left to travel onwards.

The next day we were back in Moscow, when we were stopped by 12 men with machine guns. My had was already grabbing mine. I studied them, the men looked at Jake and me. It was a stare off, Goliath was ferocious barking at the end of the trace rope. The other dogs joined in soon all the dogs became ferocious, there hides mixing and creating just the right amount of disturbance, so I could draw out my gun and in seconds I had all the men on there knees. I disabled the weapons along with temporally making sure that they couldn't shot.

“Who do you work for! Tell me before I blow your leg off.”

I cocked my shot gun this time, the men were all squirming, and the fear was deep in there eyes. I looked over to Jake who was moving the dogs out of view. One squirmed out of view and with that I shot him in the leg. The man didn't scream though, if he did I'd finish them all off with out hesitation, then leave as though it never happened.