Chapter 5

You know those days when you can't seem to get anything right and nothing goes smoothly for you no matter how hard you try? Yeah, I'm getting one of these days now. Mr.Kenning, our biology teacher was droning on and on about genetics, how amazing it was, how something so microscopic determines our destiny blah blah blah. 

My Dad told me the Sharpe family had a long history of power users. He said my grandad had the ability to make objects float. Telekinesis. He also that said grandad likes to use that ability to bring in the letters from the mailbox. My mother was not one though, which may explain why I'm not one either. She died when I was six, fighting cancer for a prolonged period of time.

Abilities comes in varied forms. People don't go around announcing themselves as users though. The government states that it's illegal to practice these strange powers or risk getting confinement forever. But most people break the law the first time they use their powers. Maybe about 2 percent of the total population are users, I'm not sure. Since no one wants to expose their unnatural talent, it is guaranteed that not much is taught about it.  We often see news of usual crimes and other terrorizing activities which sparks worry and anger among the population, but once the talk of an ability user as a plausible offender comes out, everyone will quickly avert their eyes and pretend they heard nothing. It is a social stigma that we've been grappling for decades. Whether it's from the fear of being exposed as one, or the fear that normal people are helpless against the wielders of the abilities, I don't know. All that is known is that abilities are hereditary, but you might not get the exact same abilities as the preceding generation. It's like a genetic jackpot.

Austin found out about his powers when he was sixteen. At first he said it was a slight headache, nothing to worry about. A few days after the headache, he said he mind controlled someone. He was queuing up to get a drink after soccer practice when he thought, "dang, can't I get to go first?" The guy in front of him turned back with a dazed look and swerved abruptly out of the queue. He did the same thing to the other guys until he got to the front of the line. 

Definitely breaking the rule.

Dad forbade Austin from using his abilities indiscriminately. We lived quietly in this town without a single issue. I thought I would eventually awaken with an ability as well, since it runs in the family. Unfortunately, years had past without a single hint of an ability materializing. I thought my life would go on being uneventful just like that, until I stumbled on a mystery that involved a lot of secrets. Mainly kept from me. 

After last night's event, I could only stare up at my ceiling the entire night. 

This morning, I hardly spoke a word to Dad and Austin. I didn't look them in the eye either. Dad was frowning so badly, but I pretended not to see. There was no reason for me to act like a emotional brat, but Dad egged on Austin to use his powers on me. Just what in the world have I done to deserve that? 

Asking them about it seems to be the most logical way, but what if getting another brainwash was their response? Austin is well versed in martial arts, there's no way I can escape if he puts his mind to it. And obviously they must've used it on me before, judging from Dad's words. 

Are they part of some criminal organisation after all? Maybe Damien is the name of the organisation's mastermind. 

I closed my eyes, unfortunately not even knowing which chapter Mr. Kenning is on right now.

To hell with genomes and DNA. 

I am getting brainwashed by my family for not sharing the same genes. 

I was just preparing to take another dive into dreamland, when I heard it. A tremble. I was deciding whether or not to make an appointment with the doctor, you know, in case Austin's psychic powers on me had some side effects like permanent hallucinations, but I see that others were also peering around quizzically.