Prologue

I swear I must be dreaming . Actually I must be dreaming because I didn't think that it is physically humanely possible for me to jump over walls and fences, let alone running at such a speed . The wind rushed past with a great force, blowing past my ears with a loud swish but I, or whoever who's running seemed unfazed. The weirdest thing? Feeling the wind and the quick thump of my heart sending adrenaline pumping through my veins.

Who the heck is this? And what the hell am I running from?

Eventually I slowed down to a stop in a park. Above me are stars. In front of me, a cat is slowly advancing towards us. Its a black cat , and its menacing eyes were fixed on me. Or whoever I was looking through the eyes of. 

"Damien," a soft voice called. The voice resounded in my head, sending a dull pain though it and causing the person to drop to his knees. The only reason I know is because my vision was suddenly level with the cat's yellow eyes. I struggled to turn to snap at the origin of this creepy voice. The problem is,  I can't. All I could see was that there was nobody in the deserted park, and the only living beings were me and the slightly intimidating cat still approaching us. 

"Damien," the voice whispered again, more urgently this time.

I wanted to yell. Wanted to scream at the creepy voice, make it stop. But apparently, I was trapped in this body, unable to move or shout . Only my eyes are watching, and these eyes are definitely not leaving the cat's.

Its only then that i realized the cat's mouth is moving, forming the words. Most people would freak out at it, but not me. Not when my own family is the definition of anything but normal. Anyway. That's a story for later.

"Go to sleep, Damien," the cat pleaded, all the while slowly advancing towards me. Its fur on its body was all prickled up and its steps were calm and measured. Its paws made no sound even among the rustled leaves. 

"Like hell I will, dad," came the gruff reply. So I was looking through the eyes of a dude. 

At some point in time, I had became accustomed to watching this entire scene unfolding before my eyes. A guy and a talking cat. As I convinced myself that this third rate dream is coming to an end soon, the cat spoke again.  

"Damien, please," the cat said, almost sounding like it was lecturing a child who made an unreasonable request.

Almost sounding really familiar.

In response, the person tipped his head back and laughed, a laughter that I would never forget. 

Because I was pretty sure that was my voice.