Chapter twelve : The stars connect us all

Uh oh...So umm, I'm back:)

For a bit at least, my procrastination was a year long process, at least for this story and I apologize. But even if I am now releasing this chapter, know this:

I have final exams for this whole month. And the procrastinator that I am, I am doing anything else possible to do instead of studying. So I actually procrastinated myself into cleaning my room, rearranging all my shelves and drawers and actually writing a new chapter.

I hope you like it, I do mean to edit it later on.

Although nothing significant happens in this chapter, plot wise, it does create some more development between Amethyst and Zuko and a short peek into Amy's past.

                                                                         ~~~~~~~

A week has passed from Zuko's and Zhao's fight. The nights got longer and the weather was colder by every meter we closed between our position and the north pole.

I couldn't sleep. No- I didn't want to. Every time I closed my eyes I saw a pair of amber eyes piercing through my soul. So I spent my nights on the roof of the deck gazing at the stars.

Buried deep inside me was a memory I so desperately tried to forget.

Our bodies close together, his breathing, his sweat and a sure danger I was shielding him from.

I saved him. The hell? Why did I save him? I convinced myself I was just returning a debt, a life for a life. Yeah, that's all. There's absolutely no feelings involved here.

I evaded any and every contact with him, scared that I'd start questioning my reasons..

I sat on the deck, gazing at the stars. I know some time ago, a long way back when we were young, Akio told me the names of all the stars he knew. He repeated them every time we watched the night sky, but I never really cared for their names. They were just stars.  Something far, far away, beautiful and ignorant of our world. Lingering on their own place, not even knowing, that mortals looked up from Earth, admiring them. Even if they did, this giants wouldn't care, for we were less then ants to them.

 But right now I'd give anything to know their names.

'That star over there is Ignis,' said someone behind my back.

It was Zuko, and to my surprise he sat down right next to me.

I really didn't want to talk but I didn't move away and stayed silent. I didn't know what to say to him. An uncomfortable silenced lingered between us. It was the first time I didn't have any mean or harsh comeback ready. How could I? He actually saved my life. And I hate to admit, but I was thankful to him. But then on the other hand, I saved his so we were even now.

When he saw that I'll stay he started talking again.

'We don't believe in many things but we do believe in the legend of Ignis. That red star,  is a star, children in the firenation make wishes upon.'

'We make wishes if we see a shooting star.' I replied 'It's rarer and not so many people have the opportunity to wish, but it's said that if you truly wish for it with all your heart your wish will be granted. Or that's what we believe in anyways.' I finished bitterly

'Have you ever seen it?'

'Once, as a child.'

'What did you wish for ?' he asked me.

I debated if it was better to keep quiet but I didn't really care 

'To return my parents to me.' I said bitterly. There was a moment of uncomfortable silence between us. He wasn't sure what to say, how to react, so he just stayed quiet and waited.