Chapter Four

It's funny how different the atmosphere can feel when you take a different way around. When you go to another place that you had never been to before. It's almost like exploring a whole new world, or a whole new universe. Especially when it's a place as foreign as The River Shallows, the big, gated neighborhood where all the wealthy people live. All the kids who live here attend the fancy private school on the edge of town that requires uniforms and costs thousands of dollars a year. They don't mind, of course-they can pay for it easily.

I had only been here once before today. It was back when our crummy public school was doing a fundraiser, and the grand prize was one hundred dollars. I was the most ecstatic sixth grader in the school. There were so many things that I could do with that much money, and I swore to myself that I would do anything to win it. So, I had Levi take me out to all the houses in Caspen, starting with the ones in our rundown neighborhood, and making our way throughout the other developments. Only a fraction of the people were actually generous enough to buy things from me. But when we got to The River Shallows, it seemed that everyone was willing to purchase at least one item. I was so happy, with my order form entirely filled, that I almost started crying as we walked back to our foster home.

I ended up getting those one hundred dollars, which I spent entirely on candy for Levi and I. We didn't finish all of it until almost a year later, though, but it was worth it. Anyway, since that day, I had been completely head over heels for the area. But Levi never let me return. They said we had no business being there-that we would only be a burden for them. So I kept away.

Today, though, he's not here to keep me from going through. I need some sort of comforting, and I'm honestly getting very tired of the same old route to school.

Everything is designed in unison. They have the same bland colored roofs and sidings, with bushes along the front and rectangular light fixtures on the garage. The cars are almost identical, too; Beamers, Jaguars, and even Lamborghinis are parked in the inky black driveways.

I don't understand why the area doesn't make me envious and angry that I was given such an unlucky life. The majority of people who live outside the gates would probably feel that way, but not me. It gives me an odd sense of tranquility. No wonder I've felt so out of place and distressed for all these years-I haven't been able to come to my comfort zone.

Levi, that idiot.

I walk down the sidewalks, my hands stuffed into my pockets, my backpack feeling like it weighs over a ton. I smile at the residents when they wave to me, but other than that, I keep my eyes on the pavement, a frown permanent on my lips.

"I couldn't help it," I overhear from my left. "I couldn't save Cara, I didn't even know it was happening until she was gone!" The voice is cracking as he says the last sentence.

This catches my attention. What he's explaining seems way too familiar, and the name rings a bell, as well. It takes me a few moments to remember where I recall it from, though.

Cara. Cara. Cara.

When it finally comes to me, I can't stop myself from running to the source of the voice. It's a boy around my age, with a cell phone pressed against his ear and his spare hand over his eyes. He's dressed in jeans, DCs, and a maroon letterman jacket, along with a grey beanie covering his ears. Just a few inches of brown hair is peeking out from under it.

I race to him, stopping just feet from feet from his face. He doesn't notice me at first, because of his hands covering his vision. "Cara was taken," I mutter too quickly.

He springs back in surprise, losing grip of his cell phone. It falls to the asphalt with a loud thud.

"Dammit," he musters, kneeling down to pick it back up.