Initiation and Interlude

Two days of quiet. Two consecutive days of silence. Negan wouldn't speak to you; he was too busy brooding over Nicole's delicate condition. Nicole wouldn't speak to you; she was too busy shunning you for your cruel words. The two people you cared about most in this compound were shutting you out. You thought the return of Lucille would lighten the situation and strengthen The Sanctuary. You'd reclaimed a beloved symbol of power...but now, it was insignificant. In those forty-eight hours, you tended to your injury and resumed your tasks. Casting bullets and repairing weapons had never felt so calming. Your work allowed you to repress all the troubles that where churning in your mind. But as you checked off items on the to-do list, you started pining for Gio's company. You missed him already. The Saviors couldn't fill the void in your lonely heart, though they tried to put a smile on your face. They cracked dirty jokes and ranted about Negan's bitchy mood, but their antics didn't soothe you. They asked you to regale them with stories about your quest, but sharing your tales with them didn't feel the same as laughing with Gio about your escapades. You wanted your childhood friend by your side.

On the night of the second day, you planned to sneak out of the compound. You had to meet with Gio and discuss everything that happened after you arrived. Bribing the guards with cigarettes was easy. The difficult part would be slipping away without Negan noticing your absence. Even when you didn't think he was watching, he always had his eyes peeled. Word of your escape would eventually reach his ears, and what then? The last thing you wanted was an argument--or worse. With your pack on your back and your arm cradled in your sling, you headed for the gates. Stars became visible in the twilight sky. The moon was full and beaming like a stadium light. You peered through the jagged holes in the fence next to one of the security officers. The guard tapped on your shoulder, and you turned. Giving you a sly wink, he pried open a small crack in the entrance, suitable for your slim body. He motioned to your exit with his sniper rifle. You nodded gratefully, and stepped through the crevice. But when you exited the gates, you sighted a burly shadow emerging from the forest. It appeared to be as gigantic as a Grizzly Bear. The figure limped into the moonlight, and you jumped in shock. "Gio?" you murmured.

"Jackie?" his voice fluttered to your ears

"Jackie?" his voice fluttered to your ears. The burly shape hobbled towards you. A large axe glinted beneath the luminous stars. He pressed his right arm firmly against his abdomen; it glistened with puckered patches of bloody tissue.

The guard who aided your release cocked his rifle and aimed at the wounded Gio. Oh fuck... You darted in front of the watchman and raised your arm. "Don't shoot! He needs help!"

"Help? The bastard cut up my leg with that fucking axe of his," the guard bellowed. The barrel of the gun remained focused on Gio's position. "The fucker is trespassing."

You forcefully lowered his weapon. "Whether you should kill him for intrusion or not, that's not your call to make."

Snarling in frustration, the guard backed away from the gates. He shot you a suspicious glare. "Go 'head and handle it, No-Name. You can deal with Negan on this one." He strut from the scene to alert the other Saviors.