Chapter Seven - The Secrets Hidden and Discovered (NEW)

“Hey Jo!”

            “Hey!”  Jo gave Tiffany a hug that she held tightly before letting go.

            “How are you?”

            “Okay.”  Jo put on her best smile.

            “How are you really?”

            “Not too good.”  Jo admitted.  “But... uh... I wanted to talk to you about something quickly... before Claire gets here.”

            “Okay!”  Tiffany gave Jo a warm smile.

            “It’s actually about Claire.  I think we should all pitch in to buy her a goodbye gift.  We could give it to her at the party.”

            “Sounds good!  It’s only us there, right?  No boys?”

            “No boys.  A girls’ night.”  Jo flashed an authentic smile.

            “Excuse me!”  Sam gave the two an impatient smile as they were standing in front of her locker. 

            “Oh!  Sorry!”  Tiffany exclaimed.  She then motioned to Jo for them to move a bit to the side.

            “I can’t believe she’s leaving, forever.”

            “I know.”

            “And to New York!”  Tiffany exclaimed.  “It’s so very exciting!  I completely understand why she’s so okay with leaving everything behind.  Modeling opportunities like that don’t come often.  I would know.  My mom’s in the business.”

            “I don’t think she’s that okay with it all.”  Jo murmured, leaning against a cold, metal locker.

            “Really?”

            “Claire’s becoming too attached to new things now.  She’s letting stuff get in the way of her decision.”

            “You’re worried about her.”  Tiffany observed Jo’s stern eyes.  “You have enough to worry about already.”

            Jo shrugged, her bob bouncing limply.

            “You haven’t even told her, have you?” 

            Jo shook her head.  “Only you and Ty know.”

            “And she doesn’t suspect anything?  Not even when she went to your house on Wednesday?”

            “He’s never around anyways ‘cause he’s always been at work.  Besides, it hasn’t been very long and she has enough on her mind already.”  Jo sighed.

            “She’s your best friend, you have to tell her.”

            “Her family’s not exactly up to par either.”

            “You have to tell her.”  Tiffany held Jo’s hand and squeezed it.  “She deserves to know.”

            Jo nodded as she adjusted the neon bangles on her wrists.  Tears were forming in her eyes and she attempted to hide it.  Tiffany could see right through her and pulled her into a gentle hug despite her usual prim and proper attitude.