Chapter Six - The Awkwardness (NEW)

              Thursday, first period, was English for Claire.  English, that is, with Dylan.  Claire had an irking feeling that she was getting ahead of herself with this Dylan thing.  She could do that.  As soon as she realized some guy had the slightest interest in her, her hormones went wild and she was interested.  It was actually quite irritating.

            Claire sat on the hard, plastic blue chairs.  She had made sure to arrive in class early that day.  That way, she figured, she could get a head start on her day’s studying.  She sat reading her socials textbook on the table.  She wanted to get as much studying in as possible.  She was so engrossed in acquiring more facts that she didn’t even notice Dylan entering the classroom. 

            “Sorry Madeline!”

            Claire looked up when she heard Dylan’s voice right by the desk.  There he was, blocking Madeline’s seat, as Madeline attempted to sit down.

            “I really need Claire’s help.  I wish could be as smart as you, but you know, the fates aren’t kind.” 

            Claire almost choked on Dylan’s inconspicuous charm and his blatant lie.  He was smart.  Most definitely.

            “Okay...?”  Madeline flashed Claire a bewildered look.

            Claire quickly turned back to her textbook and attempted to at least appear to be absorbed in it.  She felt sort of bad for Madeline.  After all, they’d sat next to each other all term and they often helped each other.  Madeline lost her yesterday and now apparently again, today.  Fortunately, Madeline had definite brains.  There were always kids that said it was because she’s Chinese, but of course, that wasn’t the real reason.  Madeline was smart because she had goals she wanted to achieve and because she wanted to do her best in everything. 

            “Hey.”  Dylan whispered in Claire’s ear.

            Be strong.  Not like yesterday, you fool!

            “Hi.”

            “I think we should focus on these terms today.  I don’t fully understand them.”  Dylan slipped a crowded lined piece of paper onto Claire’s side of the table.

            “Wow.”  Claire exclaimed sarcastically as she skimmed the page.  “You made a list.  Impressive.”

            “Good morning class!”  Ms. Terry cut her off.  “This is your second last class before your exam on Tuesday, so please review and study.  Be respectful of the rest of the class and don’t speak loudly if you work with other people.”

            “I worked on it last night.”  Dylan said as Ms. Terry finished.

            “Okay,” Claire nodded, closing her textbook and pushing it to the side.  “Define antihero.”

            The next half an hour was literally spent studying.  Dylan didn’t even crack any jokes or go off track.  He was actually serious about studying and Claire wasn’t sure how she felt about that.  At least he was getting help from her, but other than that, it was like he was using her to study... maybe not because he liked her.

            There go the doubts... Claire sighed.  That always happened to her as well.  She’d always get so ahead of herself about a guy liking her that her doubts didn’t even have time to breathe.  But eventually, they always came up for air.