The Convention

• Dedicated to My 6th grade English Teacher, Mrs. Collins

I was standing outside the door of the taxi, looking upon my new mansion. I’d already dealt with my shock of the move to London. I had gotten up and made my way to my room. I knew I couldn’t control my emotions, so I hadn’t even tried and just let my tears come.

            I already missed camping under my favorite tree. I already missed swimming in the lake. I missed the noises from the loud thunderstorms. Although I can’t believe that I was saying this, I missed the smell of wet horse in the morning. After kissing the past fourteen years of my life goodbye I was standing there.

            My mind was completely checked out as I walked to my room and collapsed onto a flimsy waterbed, and I was asleep before my head even hit the pillow.

***********

            From when I woke up to when I ate lunch the next day was a blur. The only thing that snapped me out of my daze was my mother walking in and telling me to put on the clothes she had laid out on my bed.

             I did as I was told (for once) and slouched to my room. A dress made for a goddess was lying across my sheets. It was made from a single piece of shimmering white fabric that looked just like Crystal. From that sheet was a band of the same material that went over my shoulder to connect to the back of the dress. When I tried it on the neckline cascaded from the strap and turned to cover my chest. It flowed over my body like a second skin until it got to my waist, where it billowed down and a little outward. It looked like a dream against my skin.

            Wow, Crystal thought.

            You’re telln’ me, I told her.

            The gown hid my body, revealing nothing, and that just made it all the more beautiful.

            Mom came in and simply arranged my curls. “We’re going to a convention to find you a school. Everyone will be having dinner before hand. Be polite, but honest, about the school you want to go to,” mom said.  “There will be kids there, so try to make friends. I know some kids are mean, but be nice no matter what. Find a few nice girls and everything will be fine.”

            I had to seriously resist rolling my eyes. Mother seriously worried about my social life. I never had anyone over, never went to any parties, and always hung out with the guys. I loved being alone and not having to put up a façade for anyone. I mean, how can I be myself around people if I have talking tattoos.

            Soon after a little eye make-up and lip gloss (both were strictly for special occasions of my part) we headed down stairs.

            After a dinner of meals I could only pronounce because of the countless times I’ve been to things like this before everyone made their way outdoors. When my eyes fell upon the garden my jaw dropped. Gazebos sat in a clearing that was surrounded by a thin forest. A lake of blue glass lay in the background making the sight fit for a postcard.

Under each gazebo was a schools banner. After following my parents around for an hour or so I strayed to a gazebo with no one there but a girl and a boy. My parents grudgingly followed me as I walked through the crowd. I could hear more and more whispers ripping though the air as I got close to the schools stand.

“Ace is impossible to get into.”

“My son had a perfect G.P.A. and he still didn’t get in.”

“I heard the minister’s daughter went there.”

The school sounded very prestigious to say the least. I could only imagine the snobby prats that went there. I kept going though, curiosity getting the better of me.