Chapter 1: the fire

The pounding on the door is getting louder. Someone or something is trying to get in, but my mind doesn't seem to focus. So instead of racing to get an axe or sword, I grab a my knife, which, by the way, I feel like am good at using. The door explodes, and in comes a dragon.

It knocks the cabin with just its shear weight. I see flames brewing in its mouth, spikes on its back becoming visable. As the dragon lines up to strike...

My name is Hiccup. I am 15 years old and live in burk, a sad and lonley place in the middle of nowhere. It snows 9 months a year and hails the other 3. The people here are cold and heartless, and are gifted in destruction. Life is hard here, but thats not surprising, because of the pests. Most places have mosquitos or mice. We have...

"DRAGONS!" Some yells.
The creature in front of me spins around, and is about fly off, but to late. Gobber, the man who raised me, throws all of his weight on the dragon, making it cry out. Gobber digs his hooked hand into the dragons flesh. It takes of, leaving Gobber on the ground, yelling at it.

"Only the second time tonight, I have had to protect you. That'll be a record" he says, clearly proud.

"We are going to need a new shack" I say.
"That is not new." I add just to annoy him.

"Go to the workshop. Sharpen a sword or something." He tells me, and I groan.

"Seriously. Can I just die." The workplace is where I make swords and axes. For everyone but me. I hate having to always stay away from the action. But I have to. Because I am not, well a viking. I am not a big muscled dimwit. I am hiccup. The only one in this village who is skinny small and ignored by every one.

"Well, I would rather you died, but I swore and oath and I am gunner keep it. Now GET TO YOUR PLACE!" He shouts, and then he disappears into the smoke.

"Gods help me." I say to no one.

I run as fast as I can into the smoke, rushing to get to the workplace, when stowic the vast comes out of no where, and bumps into me.

"Sorry." I say quickly. Stowic is the cheif of the tribe, the one person dragons fear.

"STUIPED BOY... oh ummm, hello hiccup." He says strangely, like he always does when he talks to me. I don't know why. Many boys in the village thinks its because he is ashamed of having me in the tribe, others think he knew my dad (who I have never met), and didn't no how to talk to me, which is another way of saying he thinks I am strange.

"Well bye." I say hurriedly,  and dash off to the workshop, leaving him to fight off the next thing he see's.

Somebody screams in the distance, but I know to ignore it, as all vikings do. I finally make it to the workshop. Grabbing my apron, I set to work, making spears and axes.

That was when I heard it. A shriek of pain, not human. This was a dragons, and it wasn't any of the usual dragons we get here, like deadly nadders or groncrels.

I race out, just to see it fall across the sky, a shadow. I realised what it was. None of the dragons can comoflage like that. It was a night fury. One of the greatest dragons. It never takes food, never shows itself and never misses.

And there it was, dropping into the forest. Never to be found.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I hope you liked my first chapter. I am going to try to add one every 2 days. Sorry if I don't, as I may have other stuff on.

:-)