Chapter 1 ~ Ona's Night (part 1)

[Author's note: This is a science fiction, adventure, action and romance story with some violence and graphic scenes. Be warned.]

 Chapter 1 ~ Ona's Night (Part 1)

"I remember when you told me about how I was the child of Aurora and you were the son of Seline and we were destined for each other. I don’t know if I believe you, or if I believe in destiny. I do believe in us; and all the beautiful things you’ve shown me and how very, very beautiful you are.

"Remember the story? In our little world with two moons; one a deep violet, the other a volatile red. Aurora and Seline. They dance at night, a slow, eon old dance; both graceful and pained. Each step withdrawn and tired, but so very passionate and meaningful. the one they tell you when you’re little? Aurora, the violet moon. She was a calm goddess; beautiful, wise, and intelligent. She was given our planet as a gift for her honourable behaviour from the mother sky, Ciel, and the sun father, Rin. Aurora was grateful and moulded our world, but the balance was wrong and tides buried the land. Aurora wept flames onto the surviving green of our world and the planet was covered in water and fire. Ciel and Rin talked about how to better Aurora. Seline stepped forward, the daughter of the earths. She was young and wild but wisdom shone through her. They agreed that Seline should help her, so Seline invited the sobbing Aurora to dance. At first, she was reluctant, but soon Aurora laughed life back into our world. Now the two moons danced together laughing and singing, forever filling our world with life and beauty.

"I always liked that story."

*

Hugo looked into the abyss of the night sky. Blackness had swallowed the red and purple moon tonight.

He took a drag from the cigarette falling from his lips; a good tug of breath that reaffirmed its safety. It was a solar eclipse, one of the many. In fact, it was the third one this month. The planet of Ona had many a time suffered from black days and orange nights as a result of its unique moon and sun patterns; the one constant was Ciel, the sky. Today… tonight was Ona’s night. Ona had taken his daughter and her consort to the sea. Well that’s what the legends say. In reality, Ona had one continent, made up of several islands closely packed together on the northern side of its face. The sun would set and rise for everyone around the same time; no one would truly know what life was like on the drowned lands.

So many people continued to believe the legends as fact. The world was in disarray; the blood thirsty ran things, the bloodthirsty followed them. Only when the moons had gone to the sea would the islanders rest. Be good for your mothers.

“Let’s not stare at the moons and get moonstruck and crazy. Let’s stare at the sky and be calm and happy,” El’s voice murmured in his head. El

He remembered holding her, nuzzling her ear and saying that she was being biased since she was named after the mother sky. She refused, told him that her name was El. She had told him that in reality, the moons had not left our sky, they did not disappear. In fact Ona's Night, tonight, was a result of a lunar eclipse. 

Where are you?

He fell asleep in the middle of the field, looked up and saw the sun and the moons, with their huge faces, bearing over him. Everyone in Ona carried their weight. No wonder we’re all crazy. He was on the isle of Cai; the grassy, hilly, small island; real small, practically a speck on the gulf of Timon. It was a beautiful island, small and costal but the people were good. Just trying to get by.  The grass smelt fresh and devoid of salt, the air was cold and biting. It was like the mornings, clear and new. A film of dew lined the barks of trees.

“Son, what are you doing here?” A man’s voice, probably forties, most likely a farmer or caretaker.

“I fell asleep watching the sky, sir,” Hugo twisted in his seat of grass to look at the voice. He was wearing a broad rim hat, his eyes hidden. He held an unloaded shotgun in his hands. “I mean no trouble.” He felt his skin crawl, he felt the moons quiver in anticipation.

Better watch out for this one, he’s got something up his sleeve.

Hugo bit his tongue in his mouth, trying to shut her out.

“Best get off this land, son,” The man’s teeth glinted in the early sun. A cannibal for sure.

Hugo stood, squared off with the man. He was quite some distance, but he was a cannibal. The cannibal would be able to jump twice and break his neck in less than twenty seconds. The man’s tongue ran discretely against the edge of his teeth.

“Good day, Ayrin e Ciel,” Hugo bowed his head.

Auro e Selin,” The man replied; he did not bow his head. The clack of him loading his gun, then lining it, ready to blow Hugo’s brains out happened in less than two seconds. Hugo flicked the throwing blade in his sleeve. It tore through the air, cracking through the skull, piercing the frontal lobe. Hugo flicked his other arm and released another blade into his heart; tearing the cardiactic walls.

The man was still standing. Gun pointed. Hugo could see his eyes now; head tilted back, pale skin absorbing Rin’s rays. He buckled under his weight and collapsed onto the grass.

I should leave.

Hugo turned his face to the sky, “Happy mother?”

*