Chapter 24: This Life Is What You Make It

This life is what you make it. No matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like it anyway. But just remember, some come, some go. The ones that stay with you through everything - they're your true best friends. Don't let go of them.”

― Marilyn Monroe

“I miss you!” I whine over the phone to Tanner with a loud and dramatic sigh.

“Well, you know that I miss you too, babe,” He responds in a tired voice with a quiet laugh.

“I think that you just need to come back home—  that’s what needs to happen,” I decide then.

“Or you can just come back to Italy—  that would also work,” Tanner suggests matter-of-factly.

“This is true but tomorrow is my and the guys’ flight so that won’t work,” I remind him then.

“Why are you guys going there so early?” Tanner questions, raising his eyebrows curiously.

“Because freshmen have to come two weeks before school actually starts,” I explain, sitting up in my bed and holding my iPhone above my face since Tanner and I are FaceTiming. “You know, to like, get used to the school or get a feel for it or whatever,” I add.

It’s been just a little bit over a month since we got back home from Italy and it’s now well into September. That being said, the time for us to begin our lives as college kids is finally here. Tanner left the States two days ago and flew back to Italy, which is why he’s not here and I really miss him—  I’m not used to being away from my friends because we are always together. Anyway, he couldn’t take not being with his lovely girlfriend, Elena, anymore so he decided to deny admission to all three of the universities here in America that he was accepted to and went back to Italy. He and Elena are going to college there though, so that’s good. I mean, Tanner doesn’t speak a lick of Italian but I’m sure they’ve got translators or something.

At least, I hope that they do and if they don’t, I’m sure Elena will help him. They’re going to the University of Milan together, so they’re obviously not going to be living in Rome anymore. They’re really such an adorable couple though and even though the month away from each other was surely not easy for them, they talked every single day for like, seven hours at a time. Tanner even told me that they’re not going to be staying in dorms at their university of Milan—  they’re getting an apartment together, just the two of them and they’re going to be living together, which is just so cute to me. And I obviously can’t see the future or anything like that but I can make predictions and I’m definitely predicting wedding bells for the two of them in the not-so-distant future. And even though I miss the heck out of my best friend, I’m glad that they’re going to be together because Tanner’s amazing and Elena is amazing and they really do deserve to be amazing together.

“Well, that’s weird,” Tanner refutes. “Elena and I just got moved in today though,” He chirps.

“Did you really?” I squeal with a grin. “Oh man, I’m so happy for you guys—  I hope you know you’re gonna marry that girl,” I say.

“You’re being ridiculous, Sydney,” Tanner laughs but I do notice that he don’t deny it. I mean, I’m not delusional or anything—  I’m pretty sure that he and Elena will continue to date for maybe like, a few years or so but a marriage is definitely going to happen.

“We’ll see,” I appease him with a chuckle. “Anyways, how is it?” I ask him, changing the subject.

“The apartment?” He wonders and when I nod, he shrugs. “It’s really nice and spacious and stuff but I’m pretty sure that I’m gonna have to get a job here pretty soon if we wanna be able to afford this insane monthly rent,” Tanner explains with a frown as if him working is just the worst thing ever in the world.