Chapter 5: You Are A Despicable Human Being

“Sydney? Can I come in?” Drew’s voice calls through the door a little while later.

“No, you can’t come in.” I yell back, folding my arms across my chest, even though he can’t see me.

“Please, Syd?”

“Don’t call me that! And no.”

“Pretty, pretty, please?” Drew pleads desperately.

“I said no; now go away. Leave me alone, Drew.”

“Sydney, you’re being so stubborn.” Drew complains.

“Tell me something I don’t know. Like, the radius of the sun or how many times I’ll have to tell you that I hate you before you get the picture that I don’t want to see your stupid face or talk to you.” I reply, rolling my eyes.

“That’s really mean,” Drew states.

I don’t say anything back, hoping that he’ll go away. Instead, I pick up the remote and turn the volume on the television up a few notches. I’m watching The Hangover Pt. II, trying to forget my misery by laughing my heart out at the expense of Bradley Cooper and Zack Galifianakis. And it was working too until Drew so rudely disrupted me.

“Okay, fine, I’m coming in,” Drew announces, twisting the door knob.

“No!” I shrill, taking a pillow and throwing it at the door. Too bad it’s just a pillow and not a brick so that it can actually inflict pain to him. Maybe it’d give him amnesia and he’d forget he knew me or something.

“Wow, that really, really hurt me, Syd,” He sarcastically says, tossing the pillow back on the bed.

“Stop calling me that; only my friends can call me that,” I inform him, my eyes glued to the movie.

“I am your friend, I’m one of your best friends,” Drew scoffs, sitting down next to me on the bed.

“No, you aren’t. I don’t hate my best friends.”

“I know you’re upset and all, but you do--“

“Upset?” I echo in sheer disbelief. “You think I’m upset?”

“Well, aren’t yo--“

“I was upset at Jake Rosenthal’s party when you let Bradley fight Reese all by himself. I was upset when you told me you loved me in Colorado over Spring Break. I was upset when you and me had that huge fight and didn’t talk for a while. I was upset when you ruined the end of my and Bradley’s first date. I am not upset, Drew; I am furious!” I shout at him so loudly that I wouldn’t be surprised if the neighbors could hear me as I stand up from the bed and place my hands on my hips, glaring down at him.

“Sydn--“

“You know what? Shut up. I do not want to hear what you have to say.” I yell at him, my face flaming.

“Sydney, you need to calm down. Stop yelling so we can just talk,” Drew pleads, standing up in front of me.

“I don’t wanna talk to you! That’s what I just fucking said, Drew. So just go away!”

“No, I’m not gonna go away. We’re gonna talk about this,” He firmly tells me.

“We’re not gonna talk about anything. If you’re not gonna leave, I will.” I say, turning on my heel to leave.

“Stop being such a dumbass,” Drew barks, grabbing my wrist, successfully stopping me from walking out.

“Let go of me, Drew,” I say, my voice hard as I stare up at him, my glare icy. “You are a despicable human being.”