Chapter 1

October 31st 2012

"Come on Melony! All the good candy is going to be gone!" I yelled from my living room. I tapped my foot on the floor. It was Halloween night and Melony and I had decided to go as Thing One and Thing Two from Cat in the Hat. This was our last year going Trick-or-treating, because we had decided we were too old which we were, we were fourteen after all. I walked around my living room waiting for Melony. Finally she walked down the stairs. We looked almost identicle! It was so cool!

"Well hello there Thing One" She said to me with a hint of laughter. I giggled as I skipped to the door. "Why hello Thing Two" I said with a little bow. We both laughed as we grabbed our bags and walked out the door. "Bye Mom!" I yelled as I shut the door.

I felt a sudden chill as I walked outside. It was very chilly, good thing our costumes were long sleeved and everything. We got to the first house and knocked on the door, Mr. Braunts. He opened the door. "Are you girls babysitting or something? You're too old to be trick-or-treating" He said looking around. I looked down and whispered, "I told you we should have just gone to Max's party.." Melony bumped my arm. "Perk up! Mr. Braunt this is our last year for trick-or-treating, we just wanted to got one more time." Mr.Braunt looked at us. "Whatever" he said grumpily as he threw candy into our bags. "You know, you girls shouldn't be out here alone, even if you are fourteen. It's not safe to be out late at night alone". We rolled our eyes and walked off his porch.

There was this neighborhood of houses about a mile down the road that always handed out the best candy. Usually we rode in my moms car from house to house but she was busy tonight. We walked down the dark road just talking and laughing, what normal teenage girls do. The amount if cars began to dwindle as all the younger kids began going home with all of their candy they had gathered throughout the night. Houses began turning off their lights and the roads got darker, But we paid no attention.

Suddenly, Melony ran across the road. "I bet I can beat you to the Anderson's!" She yelled, running. I looked both ways across the road checking for cars, then I began running. We ran down the middle of the road, which I knew was stupid but nobody was out. I caught up to her, but then she pulled ahead again. She turned the corner rather quickly and she looked back at me. I tried running faster, I was always really slow... I round the corner and I didn't see her. I stopped. "Melony? Where are you?". As I looked around, I suddenly hear tires screeching up ahead. I saw the faint outline of a pickup truck stopped in the middle of the road, headlights off. The engine cut off and I see faint figures surrounding a lump on the road. They quickly get back in the pick up and turn it back on, still with no headlights. They bolt forward, not seeing me as I jumped to the side. They still managed to hit my leg.

I cried out in pain. I try and stand up but I was unable to. "Melony!" I cried out hoping she was nearby. It hasn't even occured to me what those boys might have hit, but then again I hadn't had much time to. I look back at that lifeless bump and then it hit me. It wasn't the size of a raccoon. It was too big. It was too big for a dog or a cat. It looked about the size of a human....