A Traitor in the Family

Author's note: I decided that since I had some extra time today that I would upload. I have been busy writing another story, and I might start posting that before I am finished with this one. I am sorry to say that this chapter is quite short. Enjoy anyway!

Chapter Six: A Traitor in the Family

WILLIAM POINT OF VIEW

            I had known her barely long enough to be able to track her through her emotions. She was feeling… wow, I never expected her to feel so much! My head was hurting. I felt shock… love… heartbreak…hate. Lots of each one.

            I wonder what was happening with her? A friend said something? I remember when my friend said something to me that made me feel all of that. I know that I should have had a different friend, but we were inseparable since when we first saw each other. It only took one seed of doubt planted in her mind by her family…

MEMOIR

            “William, we can’t be friends anymore. My parents think that something is going on between us. If I stay with you, in the end we will only hurt more.”

            I looked at Helen with shock evident on my face. “But… they do know that I love another, yes?”

            “I wouldn’t be so sure about that, William. It’s just… we are completely different. For starters, I am a girl. You are a boy. I love you like a brother. I know that you love me like a sister. We both love someone else. But our families do not know that. They think that you are my beau.”

            “That is completely absurd! Surely they have only told you this to anger you-“

            “No, William. Somehow, they know about what you can do. I promise that I never told them!”

            They knew about what I could do. They knew. Only my sisters and Helen knew about my… talent. Who could have told them? Vanessa was… somewhere, and Helen would never tell—

            “Florence.”

            “Excuse me?”

            “Florence. She must have told your family.”

            “But why?”

            “She hates you. She has never liked me being with you. She even told me several months ago that if we did not separate, bad things would happen.”

            “And you are telling me this NOW?!” Her face started to turn red. As it always did when she was mad.

            “Helen, I forgot about it until just now. I would never keep anything from you.” I took her hand in mine, looking straight into her eyes. I felt several emotions flooding from her mind, the connection only strengthened by looking into her eyes.

            “I am sorry that it had to be this way William, but we still cannot be friends. After knowing what you can do, they will surely call you insane. Please do not try to contact me in any way—it will only put both of us to shame.”

            “Well, I guess that this is goodbye, then.”

            “Yes, goodbye, William. I will always remember you.” And she walked away. Out of my life forever.

            “Goodbye,” I muttered softly. For the first time in my life, I felt pain, shock, love, and heartbreak, all at the same time.

PRESENT DAY

            I never forgot her. We were only twelve years old, but it hurts every time I remember her. She was so sweet, so special, and for a few years, I had her as my best friend. But after Florence told her family about my talent, she was… ashamed. Yes, that was a good word for it. Ashamed.

             When I went home, I saw Florence waiting for me. Every time I saw her, I thought of Vanessa. She and I were special. She could communicate with spirits, and I could feel emotions. We had a special bond that separated us from her twin, Florence.

            Even though she and Vanessa looked and sounded exactly the same, Florence was not a shy, timid girl. She was the opposite. When she wanted something, she made sure that she got it one way or another. The twins balance each other out. That is, until Vanessa was sent away by our parents.

            The three of us were always close. Even though they were fourteen by now, people say that they both looked nine years old.

            She was just sitting there in the library, smiling up at me. She literally looked like an angel.

            I had gotten so mad at her that day. We didn’t speak to each other for days after that.