Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Ezekiel saw his angels start to fall and knew that there was not much he could do for them at the moment. All he knew was that he needed to get rid of these vamps before the reinforcements came and took them all down. Just missing a bullet whizzing past his left side, he was clipped on his right wing by a laser. They had obviously been waiting for him to make the move. It showed how much this battle had taken out of him. He was becoming lazy in his movements and using predictable manoeuvres.

That was going to get him killed if he did not pull himself out of this rut.

Wining his way higher than most would dare, he took in the whole of the battle field, only for a small flash of colour from the ground to catch the corner of his eye. He knew that the others would not take any notice, leaving it those in higher command to take care of any distraction.

What he saw upon closer inspection was not anything that he had expected.

With a speed that would have scared most ordinary angels, he angled down and dropped in a controlled plummet. Landing just shy of where the three were, he was looking for blood. Yet he was stopped short as Raphael stood to catch him, when he had not even realised that he had moved closer. He tried to push off the ancient’s grip, only to have it tighten to the point of pain. With that pain came a clarity that allowed him to hear the archangels whispered words.

“Ezekiel, you have to let this happen. It is either this or we will lose her.” They shared a look, and he knew the ancient was up to more than he was willing to let on. And yet, he had to trust him, or they could lose her. That he would not allow. If this was what she needed to would keep a hundred vamps chained up for her to feed from. Damn rights and laws, he was not going to lose her now. And they were in war, he was sure a few of the captured vamps they had in angel territory would be a very good source.

“Is she feed like a full angel? I thought we theorised that would not be possible?” His mind was ripped from the issue before him by the explosion that rocked the field. Keeping each other from falling, they looked over at the two on the ground, both still locked in the angelic feeding embrace. Both with expressions of pure bliss. He knew on Anya’s side it was the unconscious reaction of gaining energy from another aura to bolster her own.

The problem he had was that he had only just had he found her in a similar position with Raphael. Taking a deep breath, he took the time to assess the damage, saw it was in fact Maion and Taharial were the cause of that explosion, having taken out at least half of the vamps that had still been standing when he had taken stock above the fight.

It was time he thought, for his angels to pull out. Sending the signal to his most senior angels in the field, he saw them set them down and pick up the fallen from the field making sure those who were injured, and unfortunately those who had died, were on their way out to safety first. Making sure that the majority of his team was heading out or covering those left, turning to Raphael as the only ones left on the ground.

“How should we move her? And we need him out as well.” He was not pleased, but even if it was not for the blood compensation Taharial would want to take, he could not leave behind a vamp who knew their most protected secret.

Raphael only took a silent moment to take in the whole field. “Ezekiel, you are ready to kill the vampire. And we would be better leaving him alive. At least for now.” He was already moving before he had finished. “I think therefore I should take the Shadow Hunter. And you take the half breed.” He tried and failed to keep in the growl at Raphael, only to receive a sharp glance in return. “I would advise you to get that under control before you have to take her before the council.” He said no more, as he detangled Nathaniel from Anya, and lifted the rather to pleasure filled vampire into the sky.

Taking Anya into the safety of his arms once more. She seemed to curl slightly into his warmth. It was the first true movement he had seen from her since the ‘truth’ had over taken her. And he held her closer making sure she was secure as he took to the skies, leaving the vampires behind him.

He could see his Silent Wing ahead, some working in teams to carry the fallen. Others acting guard over them all. His speed being such that he managed to overtake the outliers in minutes just before they reached the outcropping of rocks where they had set up the offensive for the return trip through the dome.

Taking an air position, he knew he should have given up his cargo so he could join his angels as they set the propelled explosives. He just could not make himself give her to another. And he knew, rather selfishly, that they would never question him and his decisions. As long as he was there, they would be motivated to complete their task, no mistakes.

Holding a perfect hover, he listened into the telepathic communications that buzzed around him. Field medics trying to stop their new patients from bleeding out. Outliers discussing rear guard, and what they were seeing. And those that had landed to deal with the explosives, setting the time before they joined their comrades in the air.

Count down is thirty seconds, Sir.

Thanks Maion. He was about to look into another conversation, when something made him pause. He knew that she had worked for the good of her species today, and not for any acclamation. But he also knew that she would need to be kept motivated and challenged or she may grow bored and complacent in her position. And Maion.

Yes, Sir.

I will be having a word with the council. About the possibility of you being promoted.

…Thank…Thank you, Sir. Oh, fifteen seconds sir.

Without the time to put in any real effect on the guard teams, he moved into a central position. Which allowed for Anya to be secure and his angels to all see he was still among them and an active part of their mission.

He heard the rear guard fire on the pursuing vamps, turning slightly at the sound and rapid reaction of those near them. Only to have the barrier explode before them in a fireball of electricity and whatever it was those new rockets had within them. He really had to take his hat off to the weapons designers, they were coming up with some amazing stuff.

As the heat hit them even at the distance they were at, he could see a clearance in the dome before him. Taking the initiative he gave the order to fly. Even with sparks and fire flying around the personal world they had found themselves in, his angels never even hesitated going directly forward into a cacophony of heat.

Until they came out on the other side.