What The Hell Is A Gambit Ch.2

A/N: I know that in my story I have Gambit working at Xavier's school for gifted youngsters already and in the movie he isn't with the X-Men until later but in the comic books and original TV series he was one of the first X-Men and was a teacher there since episode 1. Just to clear it up without confusion. Thanks and keep reading! (BTW Pietro is pronounced as Pee-eh-tro not pie-tro there was confusion that I thought that I would clear up)

I woke up remembering the dream I had last night. It's the same dream that i've been having since I got out of that hell hole six days ago. I choose not to remember anything else but the fact that I got out. I sat up stretching my sore muscles from where I had been sleeping. I had picked the lock of the shed that was out back of the bar I was at last night and laid on the hay covering it.

I've been alone since I got out. People have seen me on the streets and tried to offer me help but I just can't trust anyone right now. So i've been confined to my own company until I can find my brother.

Some guys at the last bar that I had stopped at to hustle pool for a meal last night told me that they had seen someone that fit my description that I had given them. They told me that there was a school just out of town away where he worked. This must be the wrong guy, I thought to myself, Remy would never be a teacher but I still had to try because he was my brother. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

It was about one in the afternoon when I stepped back into the bar to freshen up in the bathroom before I would leave to keep looking for Remy. When I got out I sat back down on a stool at the bar counter. There were a few early drinkers there but other than that it was just the owner opening up for the long night.

There was a biker gang covered in leather and tattoos that had stopped by to grab some lunch and one other man who looked like a very large lumber jack at the bar a few stools away from me. Something about him was different. He had a certain glow to him. Not a 'I'm in love!' glow but a glow that Remy and the rest of the people on the island had. This was one of my powers that Striker had spliced into my DNA. I can sense other mutants.

The bar owner came back to make his rounds and stopped by me, "What can I get you, Sweetheart?" The man tried to flirt with me but I pretended not to notice him. The lumber jack man glanced at me then looked back down at his drink again. "I'll have a beer. What ever you have on tap is fine." He kept looking at me and smiled saying, "Anything for you, honey."

The lone guy at the bar was chewing on a cheap cigar and swirling his drink around in his hand, when the TV said something that caught both our attentions. "The current mutant phenomenon has finally reached a high enough danger level number that the president has given military authorities the permission to enforce cooperation for all mutants to register themselves as mutants no matter how low or high of a class mutant they are." I huffed and the man sitting at the bar eyed me carefully before looking up at the TV screen distastefully.

"Don't you wish the government would do more to get rid of those things. Somebody has to deal with this mutant problem before we get hurt. I mean some of us got children." The bar owner spoke. Damn I wished he knew how to hold his tongue.

"What mutant problem?" I spit towards him with venom in my words.

The biker gang had gotten quite interested in our conversation now and slowly started to migrate over. My hands grew hot, as they got closer. I saw the bar owner reach under the counter he was behind and quickly pull out a shot gun, "Now I don't know what you are but I'm gonna warn ya once. Get outta my bar and we can call it a day."

I realized I was standing now and my fists had been flaming. That's when one of the bikers had grabbed me by the shoulders. I turned around to defend myself which was probably a very bad idea. One of the bigger guys punched me strait in the nose causing me to stumble and fall. I reached to my face and my hand returned with quite a large amount of blood.

Here's where the lumber jack man comes in. He quickly materialized himself in front of me, protecting me. Three long metal claws grew out from his knuckles which he held out in defense, "Now we're both gonna leave. You understand? There's not gonna be any trouble is there?" he spoke gaining nodds from everyone in the room.

He then turned his attention to me, "You alright?" He asked genuinely concerned. I nodded slowly and he grabbed a cloth from behind the counter and offered it to me. I took it graciously and thanked him.

Once we had exited the bar he asked, "So where you headed?"

"A school. Just out of town aways," I liked that he didn't ask me about being a mutant or my powers, "I heard I could find someone there."

"Well who are you looking for?"

"My brother. We got seperated a while back and I heard from some guys that he was holding up there as a teached." I dabbed at my nose while slighty chuckling at the thought of Remy and children.

"Well does your brother got a name?"

"Does Remy LeBeau ring any bells?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"Well I'll be damned you Gambit's little sister?" he looked at me like I shouldn't exist .

"Who in the hell willingly calls themselves Gambit?" I asked rhetorically.

The man looked at me with sympathy, "Kid look," he looked at me like I was fragil and weak.

"I'm not a kid," I butted in.

"Ok..." he left room for me to fill in the blank.

"Veronica."

"Ok Veronica," he started then stopped himself again, "Remy, well, he doesn't like to talk about his sister a lot."

"Ok..." I looked for answers on his face but didn't get any which meant I'd have to figure them out the old fasion way: ask, "Why are you telling me this?"

"Remy told me his sister died. Three years ago."