Love's Complicated - Chapter 4

Fiona ---->

I'd like to see you try.” The words echoed around in Avery's head as she tried to keep up with Tally's speed walking to get to the game.

“I won't see you for the game, Av, so go find a seat with Scott.” Tally shooed her towards the bleachers before running off to join the rest of the cheer leaders. Avery ran a hand through her hair and bit her lip, then heard her name being yelled.

Turning, Scott was waving her at, grinning widely. She climbed the bleachers and took a seat next to him, just as loud cheers went up through the Gymnasium.

“Hey, I knew you'd show.” Scott yelled over the noise, and Avery bit back the response that she wasn't here for him. Not entirely.

“Yeah, wouldn't miss it!” She shouted back, and Scott settled down a little too close for comfort. Deciding to let it slide, she turned her eyes to the court and they instantly found the captain.

He was mesmerizing, she thought, his athletic grace and strong forearms, the way his hair tickled his forehead and his eyes, oh his eyes, when they sought her out in the bleachers. He started a slow grin, then saw who she was with, and all traces of humour dropped off his face. Avery frowned, he looked like he was almost squinting? No glaring, at Scott, who was completely oblivious as he threw his arm over her shoulder. Avery tried a small smile to Aden, but he had already turned to listen to the coach.

The final people were dispersing the gym when Tally found Avery near the bottom of the bleachers.

“Hey, did you have fun?” Tally asked, quickly noticing Scott was still glued to Avery's side.

“Yeah, I didn't understand a thing.” Avery replied flatly, and Tally frowned. Avery saw it and just shook her head. “Look, Scott, thanks for sitting with me, but Tally and me better get going. We'll see you Monday.” Scott's face fell, but hope reignited when he said, “I was kinda hoping you'd want to come for smoothies or something.”

Avery didn't have to look at Tally to know she was fighting back giggles.

“That's really nice and all Scott but I can't you see, my aunt needs help at home.” Avery lied, and yeah she felt low doing it, but Scott was too nice to flat out reject.

“We better get going then, to get that painting done.” Another voice filled the gym, and Avery spun in surprise to see Aden casually walking towards her, jingling a pair of car keys. Avery swallowed.

“Ah, yeah, we better...look I'll see you round, Scott.” She smiled politely and asked if Tally was coming. There was a calculating look in her eyes as she looked between the two and then she shook her head, much to Avery's dismay. She couldn't be in a small space with him, he made her head jumbled enough!

“Let's go then,” Aden grabbed her arm, and she ignored the heat that seared through his contact and threw a glare at Tally, who mouthed 'you owe me'.

Aden unlocked his truck and Avery climbed into the passengers seat, waited for him to start the engine and then flicked on the radio. Aden pulled out of the parking lot and waited before his teasing side got the best of him.