Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Thorin hadn't slept well for a few nights now, so although he hadn't drunk much last night, he woke up later than normal the next day. He was still up well before Rori though. He let her sleep, knowing that the only real cure for a hangover was rest and that he was to blame for her over indulgence.

He had seen to the ponies then saddled and loaded them and, unused to inaction, he decided to take their flasks to the river and refilled them, even though they would be following the river all day. By the time he got back Rori was awake and rummaging through her bags.

“Morning,” he said as pleasantly as he could. He could tell from a small cut on her cheek that she had already shaved that morning.

Rori mumbled a reply as she dropped some power into a little water and swallowed it in one mouthful, grimacing at the taste.

“What's that?” he asked.

“Willow bark.” she said, swigging some pure water from a flask. “It helps,” she said.

“I saw a new side of you last night,” Thorin said. “And I thought your rendition of the Song of Durin was truly deserving of a wider audience.”

Rori blushed. “I didn't really sing that, did I?” Her memories of last night were decidedly fuzzy.

“You really did,” he said smiling. “But my favourite thing was when you kissed me and told me that I could have my wicked way with you.”

“I- I- I-...” She turned away, not knowing what to say. How could she have thrown herself at him? Yes, he was a virile man and she was certainly attracted to him, but people like her did not throw themselves at people like him! Not even when drunk!

“I'm so sorry,” she said, her voice small. “I would never want to embarrass you like that or-”

He had thought that he would enjoy teasing her but seeing how mortified she looked, he was beginning to regret it.

“You did sing,” he said, coming up behind her and putting his hands on her shoulders. “But you didn't kiss me, I made that part up.”

He wasn't prepared for her to turn around and punch him. She may have been slight for a dwarf but she still packed a punch! She continued to hit his arm as she advanced on him.

“Of all the low down, cheap tricks, you-”

As Thorin moved backwards his heal slipped on a lose stone and he fell, landing on his arse.

“Oh no!” Rori cried, immediately realising that, one, you shouldn't hit or shout at your king no matter what he had done and two, you shouldn't let him land on his arse. Surely this was treason or something equally heinous. “I'm so sorry. Are you okay?” she asked kneeling down beside him.

To her surprise, Thorin burst out laughing. He had found her fiery outburst incredibly sexy but at the same time, he couldn't believe that a slight thing like her had just caused him to fall! The predicament was too funny for words.

Rori still looked panicked though so he did his best to quell his laughter, though he couldn't stop his smile.

“Shall we call it even?” he asked, sitting up.

“You're not angry?” He saw hope blossom in her eyes.

“Well, I suppose technically you did strike your monarch.”

She looked down, ashamed.

“My lord, I-”

“I could be persuaded to overlook it I suppose... for a kiss.”