Chapter Thirty-three

Song: "The Show Goes On" by: Lupe Fiasco

My eyebrows furrowed. "Smell what?" I didn't smell anything, only the delicious scent of the food in front of me.

"You can't smell that?" Peyton asked slowly. All of us shook our heads.

"What does it smell like?" Logan piped up curiously.

Peyton leaned forward in her seat. "It's so hard to describe. It isn't strong enough but I can smell it and it has my wolf going crazy. It smells a little earthy with a mixture of chocolate or something. The smell is a weird combination but it's very intoxicating," she murmured. Winter and I shared a knowing look.

Riley squealed, "Maybe you can smell your mate!" We all let out a squeal similar to Riley's. It's the only explanation. I would know because I experienced it when meeting Parker.

Peyton's eyes went wide. "My mate? He's here?" The excitement in her voice was clearly evident as her face lit up.

We shrugged not really knowing. Peyton sniffed my arm again. "Why is his scent on you?"

I furrowed my brows. Her mate's scent is on me? The only answer is that her mate is one of the prisoners. My eyes went wide with realization.

"Can you package up our food? Peyton and I are going on a little field trip," I told the girls as I stood up and grabbed Peyton's arm. They gave me confused look but nodded anyways.

I tugged Peyton out of the place. She protested and asked where we were going.

"We're going to the prison," I replied. Her eyebrows knitted in confusion.

"Why? Parker doesn't want me to be there."

I rolled my eyes. "Forget what he said for now," I said. She nodded but I could tell she wanted to ask more but decided against it.

Once we reached the location, Peyton followed me down into the prison. The horrid smells filled my nose once again and I wanted to gag. I wrinkled my nose in disgust.

"This place reeks," she commented while scrunching her nose. I let out a laugh.

"Yeah it does."

We reached the bottom of the stairs and walked through the door. we were welcomed by the cells that lined the walls as we walked by. Peyton eyed them warily. I led her to the chamber that Parker was in before. I'm going to start calling it 'The Torture Room'. I heard voices as we neared and Parker's scent filled my nose.

Other scents filled my nose and Peyton became stiff. The door was just a few feet away.

"He's here, isn't he," she stated. I didn't say anything but nodded. I reached for the handle and pushed the door open. I was welcomed to the sight of Dakota. A dark bruise ran along his jaw and blood trickled out of his nose. My mate stood in front of him glaring with his muscles bulging as he crossed his arms.