Chapter 1: No Regrets?

New Year's Day, 2250

8:35 a.m.

Jayce's POV

As soon as I woke up, I remembered last night's events and smiled. I turned around, only a tad sore, in my lover's arms, and looked up to find him awake, his usually icy gray eyes a molten mercury. I smiled up at him and he returned it, making me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

He held a finger to his lips and said, “Your parents came home about an hour ago. They went to bed. How about we go out to breakfast?”

I nodded, pleased to do anything with him. I felt closer to him than ever. After taking showers and getting dressed, we stepped into the teleportation pad together and he programmed in our favorite diner. We appeared in seconds.

Everyone in the restaurant stopped what they were doing and glared at us. Homosexual couples were frowned upon because the human population decreased dramatically after World War IV. Everyone felt that every couple was needed to help increase the population, and male couples were incapable of reproduction.

The only reason we were allowed in the restaurant is because Meredith, the owner, was close friends with my parents and had known me from birth.

After ordering our usual, we sat and talked for awhile.

“So,” Kane started, “any regrets?”

I reached out and took his hand, staring into his eyes. “Not a one.”

I leaned over and gave him a kiss.

*One month later*

I leaned over the toilet for the third time that day and vomited up my lunch of a peanut butter and jelly of which I'd been eating a lot of lately. Kane held back my wine red hair as I puked again. I'd stayed home from school the last four days, and I feared that I wasn't getting any better. My mother was in hysterics as she couldn't get me into the doctor for three more days. I didn't have a fever or a rash. The only symptoms were vomiting and stomach cramps.

My mom had thought about taking me to the emergency room yesterday, but I talked her out of it, telling her that my appointment was soon and that it was probably nothing.

After I flushed the toilet, Kane held me in his arms. “Jayce, I'm concerned about the abdomen cramps. What if you have a tumor? What if you have cancer? Shouldn't we get it checked out right away?”

I rolled my eyes. “Kane, I do not have a tumor or cancer. It's just a stomach bug. I'm going to the doctor in a few days, he'll give me some meds, and I'll be better before you know it.”

“But look at this. I noticed it this morning. Your abdomen has started to swell.” He pushed me in front of a mirror, pulled up my shirt, and turned me to the side. Sure enough, there was a small but noticeable bump from my upper stomach down. I pushed on it and felt no pain though it was almost rock hard.

I turned to him. “It doesn't hurt, and even if it is cancer or a tumor, three more days won't kill me.” At his reluctance, I cradled his face in my hands. “Kane, I'll be fine. We have nothing to worry about.”

Eventually, he nodded and kissed my forehead.

When the time came for my doctor's appointment, I still hadn't returned to school because of my recurring vomiting. When I wasn't vomiting, I was lying on the couch too tired to move.

My mother, frustrated to no end, drove to the hospital like a bat out of hell and we got there in record time. I still went to the same doctor that helped my mom through her pregnancy and delivered me.

I had her stay in the waiting room. I had to sit for several minutes before the doctor came in. He took my weight and I noticed that I had gained five pounds. Hadn't I been vomiting up everything I ate? Shouldn't I be losing weight.

“Well, Jayce, what's the problem?” Dr. Reynolds asked, removing a pen from his coat.

“I've been vomiting for the past week and my stomach's been cramping. And my abdomen is swelling.” Did I just see a gleam in his eye?

“Well, the swelling could be from a tumor. It would explain the vomiting and cramping. I'll go get an ultrasound machine and we'll check.”

A few minutes later, he returned with a large machine. He had me lie back on the bed and lifted my shirt up, exposing the bump on my abdomen. He put cold goop on my stomach and swirled it around with a wand-like device. He placed the wand on a certain part of my abdomen, nowhere near my stomach and held it there, only moving it a few times. I heard two little flutters from the machine and saw two small circular forms.

“Oh, God! Are those tumors?” I asked.

Dr. Reynolds smiled at me. “No, Jayce. You're pregnant. With twins.”

A/N:  The pic on the side is Jayce, though he doesn't smoke and doesn't have a nose piercing.  Just imagine the red hair a little more natural with a slightly boyish face.  Kane is in the next chapter.

However if you can't see the pic go to http://diyhair.tumblr.com/post/4601719368.  Should be the first pic when you scroll down.