Chapter Seven

Seven

When he woke, he knew he was back in the Underland. The sugary smell of the place was unmistakable. He remembered the lake, and the freezing water and having to dive a few times to avoid the hoar witch’s beast, but he didn’t remember traveling to the Lurr, or even climbing out of the far side of the lake.

“You’ll be taking it easy for bit,” a tiny sparkling finger-sized sprite with a white vest marking it as a Medika, told him. Another sprite zipped away and Thorn heard her calling down the tunnel ahead of her, “General Posy-Thorn has awakened. Posy-Thorn has come to!”

Within a matter of moments Thorn’s healing room was filled with his fellow honor guards and Queen Corydalis. The beautiful, lavender-eyed ruler of the Lurr Forest Fae seemed sad and Thorn suddenly remembered that Barb and Bristle hadn’t made it back.

“You’ve cast the beckoning then?” His voice was raw and speaking wasn’t easy. He figured he must have been unconscious for some time.

“Most of a season ago.” The queen touched his brow gingerly.

“Rest, as the Medika have told you. Soon you will venture from the Shadowmane again, for the Emerald-Eyed Champion will need someone to guide him into the Underland.”

“He’s answered the call then?” Thorn and a few others around the room grew hopeful. Thorn tried to sit up, but his body wouldn’t allow it.

“Answered isn’t the proper word. His name is Vanx Malic Saint Elm. His father was Captain Marin Saint Elm from the sea tales. He has ridden on the back of a red dragon and saved the Kingdom of Parydon from powerful evil. He knows not why he is drawn to us, or that he is even being drawn, but he has stepped off of a ship and is in our land. I have felt it.”

“Let us pray he hurries,” one of the Queen’s honor guard said. “The Heart Tree is waning.”

“Let us have hope and faith that he will,” the queen kissed Thorn’s forehead and then ushered everyone out of the room. “Let us have hope and faith.”

The End

Other titles by M. R. Mathias

Short Stories:

Crimzon & Clover I - Orphaned Dragon, Lucky Girl

Crimzon & Clover II - The Tricky Wizard

Crimzon & Clover III - The Grog

Crimzon & Clover IV - The Wrath of Crimzon

Crimzon & Clover V - Killer of Giants

Crimzon & Clover Collection One (stories 1-5)

The Saga of the Dragoneers

The First Dragoneer - Free

The Royal Dragoneers - Now Available

Cold Hearted Son of a Witch - Now Available

The Confliction - Now Available

The Emerald Rider - Now Available

The Legend of Vanx Malic

Book One – Through the Wildwood

Book Two – Dragon Isle

Book Three – Saint Elm’s Deep

Book Four – That Frigid Fargin Witch

And don't miss the huge International Bestselling epic:

The Wardstone Trilogy

Book One - The Sword and the Dragon

Book Two - Kings, Queens, Heroes, & Fools

Book Three - The Wizard & the Warlord

www.mrmathias.com

Dragoneer.info

Wardstone.info

Follow M. R. Mathias @DahgMahn on twitter