Chapter Twelve: Returning

After a few minutes, Gray was brave enough to glance down at her face, only to see that she had fallen asleep while cutely clinging to his shirt. His face exploded red at the thought. Cutely!? He really was turning into Lyon. After sighing to himself and not being able to get the defeated smile off of his face, he gently moved her slightly so he could put the ores back into the water, rowing slowly, so as not to wake her up.

When he made it back to the dock, he found that the same old man was there, and that he was still laughing at him. After Gray glared at him for a minute, he helped Gray out of the boat while carrying Juvia in his arms. He was glad that he managed to not trip or drop the poor girl. It was good to know that his physical strength and balance didn’t get left behind with his magic.

He thanked the older man for his help before walking back into town, where he hoped the carriage was still sitting. In the meantime, he kept catching himself gazing down at Juvia's sleeping face. She looked so peaceful as she did so. He smiled down at her as he thought back on their small date. He showed his true colors much more than he intended to, but he found that now he just couldn’t help it. Not now that he knows how much she means to him.

He chuckled to himself thoughtfully. “Water really does melt the Ice…” He looked up to find that the carriage was surprisingly still there, and that the driver, who looked an awful lot like Max, said nothing as Gray got into it, setting juvia next to him as she continued to sleep soundly.

On the way back to the castle, Gray thought about his confession and how he would carry it out. He had to do it tomorrow. It was the last day after all. He still didn’t quite understand why they only had three days, but he trusted her more than anything else in this world, that was for sure.

The only thing he had to worry about was what to say and when to say it. He couldn’t take her into town again. There was way too many people. The boat ride was nice, but he honestly thought it was too much. He wanted a simple place to tell her. Nothing fancy. Just a place they could be alone…

He looked out the window and watched the moonlight reflect on the surface of the ocean as they went over a bridge. He smiled as an idea came to mind. That’s what he’ll do, he’ll take her for a walk down the beach. Yeah, that would be perfect. She wouldn’t get too distracted and neither would he.

The carriage came to a stop and the Max look-alike quietly announced their arrival, as to not wake up Juvia, which Gray was thankful for.  So again, Gray picked Juvia up bridal style and walked into the castle. As he thought, the servants were all lying in wait for him. As soon as he had Max open the door for him, they all crowded around, too close for comfort. Gray was able to shush them before they could even think about asking him any questions and waking Juvia up.

He looked over and soon came face to face with a crying red-headed Natsu, which made him flinch and take a step back in surprise. Before he could say anything, Natsu quietly wiped his tears, or tried to. “Oh Prince Gray..! I’m so glad you’ve chosen a bride!”

Gray had almost dropped the ‘bride’ in his arms as he quickly turned towards Natsu, his face very close as he glared at the other male with a twitching brow, popping vain, and red exterior, his voice low and deep as he spoke. If he could only use magic… “I swear flame-brain, you wake her up, I will not be responsible for what happens to your corpse…”

Natsu continued to cry joyfully, completely ignoring Gray’s angry demeanor and harsh words. “Oh, she’s just so perfect for you! You’ll make such a lovely royal family..!”

Gray glanced down at the woman in his arms and he started to sweat at the drooling grin that had appeared on her face as she slept. He shot his head back up at Natsu and whisper-yelled. “Now look at what you’ve done! She’s dreaming about somethin’ weird..! Ugh!” He turned away before the redhead could reply and found Cana in his sights. He walked up to her. “Would you please guide me to her room?”

With an uncharacteristic high-pitched giggle, she nodded and turned towards the staircase. He followed her up the stairs, ignoring the group of servants he had left behind as they started to whisper amongst themselves. Soon they reached the guest room and Cana opened the door for him, he turned to give her a small nod of thanks. “I’ll be right out.” She nodded and let him be, shutting the door on her way out.

He turned to the bed and laid Juvia down gently, pulling one of the extra blankets from the end of the bed over her peaceful form. He glanced back at her face for the last time before leaving the room himself. As soon as he shut the door behind him, he instantly was on alert, afraid that his Nakama look-alikes would ambush him and bombard him with endless questions.

To his surprise however, there wasn’t anyone around. Cautiously, he started walking towards his room, sneaking around the corners like a ninja. He sighed to himself as he made it to his doorway. “Since when did I start acting like Natsu..?”

“You rang?”

“AHHHHHHHHHH!” Gray had jumped two feet in the air, whirling around to find said idiot right behind him, looking as uncharastically professional as ever. “Don’t EVER do that again! You scared the crap outta me man!!!”

Then came the wave of annoying apologies and the brow twitching. After scolding him again, Gray finally managed to get into his room alone. It had taken some time, as the crybaby wouldn’t leave him be, still blabbering on about marriage. Gray knew he wouldn’t be able to sleep, so he walked over to what he guessed was a balcony and stepped outside.

That was indeed what it was. A balcony with an awesome view, overseeing the ocean and the beach. He liked how the moon gave a relaxing feeling. It was strange after all, he should be worried about tomorrow. It was their last day, and his last chance. He had a plan though, and he was going to follow it no matter what. Then hopefully this would all be over.

It was quiet enough to where he could hear the light crash of the waves hitting the side of the castle, and he listened to it for a while before finally turning to leave. However, a sudden voice caught his attention, and he quickly turned back around to confirm that his ears weren’t playing tricks on him.

It was her voice. He could hear it calling his name from below. He never realized he missed it this much. Nor how much he wanted her to never stop saying it. An overwhelming sudden desire to see her took over him without his consent, and he started to climb down from the balcony towards the beach. When he made it to the bottom, he saw her, but it wasn’t who he thought it was at all. Yet when she spoke again, she was using her voice.

“Gray-sama!”

Then suddenly, Gray didn’t feel like himself. He could see, yet his body moved on it’s own. Even his mouth said words that he didn’t understand, and he couldn’t stop himself. “I’ve finally found you! My bride to be!”

Gray could only watch in his own subconscious as his body moved on it’s own accord, reaching over and hugging the girl. He was completely under some kind of spell, and he had no idea who caused it or why. No matter how much he tried, he couldn’t do anything. Couldn’t move. Couldn’t speak. Nothing got through.

“Oh Gray-sama. Ultear has missed you so much!”

What is going on!?