Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog - Part Nine

by sloanranger

Part  Nine

"Now Felicity," he began clearing his throat - there seemed to be a frog in it.

"Hepzibah and Abigail were my friends, you wicked man." She said.

"You defend witches?" He stated, drawing himself up.

"They were not witches!" she rebutted angrily, walking over to the mantle board above the hearth.

Her back was to Smith but he saw she took a smallish bottle, put it to her lips and swallowed something. Even from her back, Jeremiah could see the draught visibly strengthen the woman, whereas he himself was becoming noticeably ill.

She turned to him: "Are you unwell?"

The man finally cleared his throat.

 You know, Felicity," he said nervously, "you are not an unattractive woman. Now I discover your skill with the pot was not exaggerated, perhaps..."

The noted feature on his throat was bobbling furiously, causing him much consternation. In direct proportion to Jeremiah's discomfiture, Felicity was feeling better - stronger, younger.

"You were saying about Abigail and Hepzibah, elder Smith, how you thought them bewitched?"

"They were proven such, as you well know from their trials." He was struggling with his voice and feeling progressively stranger by the moment.

"Drowning Hepzibah and hanging Abigail because she had the temerity to survive the drowning?"

"It is a proven fact," he tried mightily to speak; "that a witch cannot float."

(To be continued).