Mariah's Box

Hey all, this is my second story. It's not very good but that's only because I wrote it ages ago and the story line is a bit boring. Either way, perhaps you could tell me what you think and give me some tips?

Also, don't be surprised if you think that this piece of writing is more suitable for younger people but that's just how it turned out.

Thanks,

Sam xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is something inside that box.

It’s the exact reason why Mariah held onto it so tightly when she brought it home yesterday, why last night she placed it on the highest shelf in the bedroom where she knows I cannot reach it, where no one else would think to look. 

What is she hiding? Is it dangerous? Secret? Nothing in particular or something very important?

Mariah is spread out on the living room sofa, snoozing with the TV on in the background. A Friends re-run is playing softly. I realize this may by the only chance I have at going into my sisters room and find out what she’s hiding. I know what your thinking; why do I have to see what’s inside that box? The reason all lies in Mariah acting so strange yesterday morning. 

She had just woken up when she walked into the kitchen and we accidentally ran into each other.

“Watch where your going twerp,” her usual morning ‘hello’ to me. What I was curious about was the fact that she was wearing her black jacket, which she only ever wears when she’s going out to visit those friends of hers that mum doesn’t approve of. I would’ve told mum but I knew Mariah would kill me if mum suspected she was ditching school and doing something bad.

“Where are you going?” I ask, but Mariah just shoves me with her shoulder as she walks out the back door.

So now I am sitting here, it’s 3 o’clock and I’m watching my sister sleeping on the couch wondering how I am going to get away with sneaking into her bedroom and looking at what’s in that box.

If you knew my sister well enough, you’d know that going in her room is a very dangerous thing to do. You would most likely pass out from a mixture of perfume fumes and hair spray, but besides that there’s just the plain; you-will-die-if-I-catch-you-going-in-here-again warning. I quietly tip toe in bare feet up to the frame of her door, looking back at Mariah and then turning again to go in. I’m amazed at how neat my sister keeps her room. Sure, it’s not perfect, but all the same it’s fairly tidy. I don’t waste time when I quickly walk over to the high shelf where the box is kept. I can see it’s too high for me to reach (I am only 10 years old after all, not exactly 6 ft. either) so I grab a stool and lightly place it on the floor in front of the shelf. Being up here hanging onto the shelf to reach for the box is making a little dizzy so I grab it quickly and then hop back down, my feet making a soft thud sound as they touch the floor. I decide it would be safer to take the box into my room before opening it so I creep back out into the living room, where Mariah is still lying on the sofa, and go into my own room and softly close the door. I can’t wait any longer, I want to know what she’s hiding. A rip the lid off the box and chuck it on my bed, but it bounces off onto the carpet. Inside the little box is some tissue paper that I search through hurriedly like a little kid opening a christmas present from Santa. I don’t even realise I’m getting closer to the bottom when I hear the most frightening sound I could ever hope to hear. My sister standing only a few feet away behind me, laughing like she had just won a very important game.

*    *    *

I snap my head around that instant to Mariah standing with her hands on her hips glaring at me. I look back down at the box and realise there isn’t even anything inside. It was a trap. Now Mariah’s caught me going into her bedroom and it was all for nothing.

“Your dead.” She sneers.

“But...Mariah….but…” I feel helpless. She’s right, I snuck into her bedroom when she tells me repeatedly not to. I was just too damn curious. Well, you know what they always say; curiosity killed the cat.

“Okay, I know what your thinking, you thought I was looking in your stuff. I wasn’t really, I thought I heard a strange noise coming from your room and…”

“Save it for someone who cares.” She takes a step forward, extending her arms towards me but suddenly topples backwards landing with a loud smack onto the floor. I look to see what she fell on and it’s the small lid off the box that had fallen from my bed earlier. She’s going to be really mad now! I jump up without thinking twice and run out of my room, crashing into a pile of homework in the escape. I hear the blissful sound of keys clicking as they open the front door and mum’s shoes tap as she walks inside. I run to give her a hug.

“Welcome home mum! Boy I missed you.” I can hear Mariah returning to her room, slamming the door, knowing that it’s over now that mum has come home.

“Well...glad you missed me, I missed you to” Mum says as she kisses the top of my head. I’m not surprised she sounds so confused, I don’t usually miss her too dramatically when she goes out to buy milk. Relief spreads over me as we go into the lounge room to watch TV and I think; at least I’m safe until tomorrow, perhaps Mariah will forgive me… maybe.