Chapter Thirty: Epilogue

A/N: Dedicated to Cinderellagirl0. Thank you so much for your encouragement to keep writing. If not for your messages, I probably would have taken even longer (which seems impossible, I know). Anyway, thanks so much.

And to all my other readers, thanks for reading Sink or Swim! I've had a great time writing for you guys, and I hope you've enjoyed reading. It means so much to me that you took the time to check out my work:)

*****

Epilogue:

Two Years Later

            There isn't much of a view from my window.  I'm not sure what I was expecting.  It's not like I'm staying at some five-star hotel or something, so obviously, there's not going to be some picturesque view of the ocean or city.  Still, I was hoping for a little better than the side of a concrete building.  My window is directly across from another, allowing me to see directly into another girl's dorm room, which is somehow already trashed with garbage wrappers and a half-empty pizza box.

            I prop the window open, smiling to myself as a hot breeze leaks into the room.  It's humid outside, far more humid than I imagined possible.  It is almost difficult to breathe through the heavy California climate, but I don't shut the window anyway.  Maybe it's because I have finally escaped the crisp Idaho breeze, or maybe it's because this hot weather makes it all real.  I am finally in college, away from the drama of my high school years.

            "I knew you would come here first."

            I wheel around on my heel to see Elliot leaned casually against my door frame.  His lips are tugged into an easy smirk, but I can see the excitement in his blue eyes. 

            "Elliot!" I shriek, lunging toward him.  I stumble over my suitcase, crashing my shoulder against his ribcage and ruining our beautiful fairytale moment.  I mumble an apology before tucking my head against his chest and wrapping my arms around his sides. 

            "Three months," chuckles Elliot into my hair.  "It's been three months since I've seen you, and you don't even come to see me."

            "I'm sorry," I say, hugging him tighter.  "Were you waiting long?"

            "Only two hours," he says with an teasing smile.  "I eventually realized you weren't running late.  It's okay though. I figured it out."

            I pull back and stick out my bottom lip.  "I really am sorry. I couldn't help myself.  I wanted to see it."

            Elliot looks over my head at the tiny dorm.  It has ugly walls, a wooden bunk bed, and about three inches of closet space to split between me and my roommate.  That, along with the nonexistent view, should have put a damper on my day, but it hasn't.  I'm at college, and no matter what happens, I am going to enjoy these next few years.

            "Have you met your roommate?" asks Elliot.  His eyes gaze toward the cluster of clothes and bags on the lower bunk.

            "No," I say, biting down on my lower lip.  Not that I can tell my clothing, but she seems to be more girly than I am.  Pink skirts, several makeup kits, and weird hair wands I've never seen before.  

            "Are you sure this isn't Cassi's stuff?" asks Elliot.  He plucks a frilly pillow from the bed and twirls it between his fingers.

            "Don't touch that." I snatch the pillow from his hands and toss it back onto the bed.  "Megan is going to be great.  She's on the diving team, you know."