Chapter Twenty

There are four teams at this swim meet; and unfortunately, that includes Boise.  Our boys' team has won every meet this season, but last time, it was a close call against Boise.  Without Elliot here, the odds of our team winning are even slimmer than usual.  I don't feel guilty though.  Elliot being grounded is his own fault.  If he knew what was good for him, he would've just left me alone from the beginning and dated Cassi, like everyone so obviously wants him to.

            "I think that guy is checking you out."  Sarah's words automatically snap me from my thoughts.  It's a rare occasion that someone checks me out, so I can't help but blush.

            "Who?" I ask, averting my gaze to the concrete floor.

            "Don't freak out," says Sarah, dropping her voice to a whisper.  "But it's Dante Fisher.  He's still looking."

            Dante Fisher?  Why would the sexiest, rudest person on the Boise team be checking me out?  Alright, this is just getting strange.  There is no way more than one hot guy finds me attractive, especially not someone like Dante Fisher.  From what I've heard, he doesn't share Elliot's kind morals.

            I nervously flicker my vision in the direction of Sarah's gaze.  She's right.  He is undeniably staring at me with an attractive smirk upon his face.  Droplets of water glisten against his tan chest and through his blonde hair.  His dark green eyes linger over my body, making me squirm.  Despite him being unbelievably hot, I don't like the way he's looking at me.  Almost like he's mentally undressing me or something.

            "Can we go warm-up?" I ask, eagerly turning toward Sarah.

            "I think he wants to talk to you," she says.

            "Well, I don't want to talk to him."  I tow Sarah back to our team's meeting area.  The warm-up pool is still closed for now, so we end up stretching instead of swimming.  Dante has gone back to his Boise team area, but his eyes continuously flicker in my direction.

            "He's kind of creeping me out," I admit.

            Sarah follows my stare and then laughs.  "I don't know why you're complaining.  If someone like him was checking me out, I'd be ecstatic."

            "Sarah..."  I start, but she quickly cuts me off.

            "Come on, Finn."  She leans down to touch her toes.  "Admit it; this has nothing to do with Dante and everything to do with Elliot.  You just wish it was him checking you out."

            "Shut up," I say. 

            Still, I don't know if she's right; and not just because I'm pissed at Elliot.  I don't think I really want anyone staring at me the way Dante is.  It's simply creepy, and he won't stop.  I know it's probably not helping that I, too, am looking.  But I can't help myself.  It seems even worse to have him eye-raping me without my knowledge.

            Before long, the meet takes off into full swing.  I am swept away by warming up and writing down my events and getting dressed...  The list goes on, and soon, I forget about Dante's unnerving stares altogether.  I do well in my individual medley, but I add time on the relay version.  After a quick conversation with Coach, I head back toward the team area.  I push through a swarm of waiting swimmers, but my path is suddenly blocked by a solid chest.

            "Sorry," I mumble, quickly stepping to the side.

            "Finn, right?" a deep voice asks.