Chapter 2

The Maui County Police Department was based in Wailuku. The census-designated place was Maui County's county seat and was at the base of the West Maui Mountains. The Chief of Police and Deputy Chief of Police spearheaded the department and its efforts to maintain law and order on the island, with the Investigation Services Bureau carrying a great deal of the load. Within it was the Criminal Investigations Division that included the Homicide Unit, headed by Lieutenant Blake Seymour.

Leila gazed at her boss—her onetime partner and former lover—as he headed toward her desk. Over six feet tall on a solid frame, he had short salt and pepper hair and deep blue eyes. She thought he was handsome, but not as good looking as Maxwell. She suspected his wife would probably disagree.

"Hey," he said casually.

"Hey." She glanced over at Chung, who was talking on the phone at his desk, and back to Seymour.

"Where are you on the dead woman?"

"Her name is Yoshie Akiyama," Leila told him. "We're about to head over to her residence to see what we can learn about her life. Hopefully, we'll come away with some possible suspects in her death."

Seymour twisted his lips. "Chung mentioned that she was a hula dancer."

"Looks like it. I believe someone targeted her and made good on it, stabbing her to death after she finished dancing somewhere."

"Like an angry spouse or boyfriend?" he asked.

Leila shrugged. "Maybe. Or maybe an obsessed fan. Who knows?"

"Not the best way to start the week," Seymour muttered.

"Yeah, tell me about it."

"I know. You were supposed to have the day off."

"I'll just have to reschedule it for another day," she told him, knowing that being on call practically 24/7 came with the territory—or whenever murder came calling.

His head tilted thoughtfully. "I hope Maxwell is okay with that."

Leila wondered if he really meant that as thoughts of their past affair flashed briefly through her mind. "He's fine with it," she said, knowing Maxwell had never complained about her erratic schedule, even if he had every right to. "Besides, I'll do my best to make it up to him," she added, as if to remove any doubt that her current relationship was solid.

"I'm sure you will." Seymour grinned thinly. "Well, keep me posted on the hula dancer case."

She managed a smile. "Count on it."

After he walked away, Chung approached her. "Is Seymour already applying pressure for us to solve this one?"

Leila looked up at him. "Isn't he always?"

"I think being a lieutenant has gone to his head," Chung spat.

"And his heart, too," she said, defending him. She truly believed that he was fully vested in the job and wanted to do his best to represent the department and assist the detectives in solving crimes.

"Whatever," Chung said dismissively. "Anyway, the autopsy report probably won't be ready till tomorrow, according to the coroner herself. Not that we need it to know the victim was stabbed to death by some asshole."

"Right, but the report will help fill in some important blanks," Leila pointed out, as if he didn't already know this. Still, it was painfully clear that the hula dancer was violently attacked by someone wielding a sharp knife. The question was whether or not this was an isolated incident or if it could become a frightening pattern if the killer wasn't apprehended soon. "Let's roll," she told her partner.