Prologue

Hula is a form of visual dancing created by Polynesian settlers on the Hawaiian Islands, typically performed with mele or oli, meaning song or chant. Ancient hula, known as kahiko, such as 'āla'apapa and 'olapa, was often performed to honor or entertain chiefs. Hula began to evolve during and beyond the 19th century through influences of the West, known as 'auana, meaning to "drift" or "wander," and included performances for religious purposes, such as worshipping a Hawaiian goddess; as well as historical journeys, and pure entertainment and fun for those in attendance.

Hula dancing done while standing is called luna dance, and in a sitting position it is referred to as noho dance. Hula is normally taught by a kumu hula—a teacher knowledgeable in the dance form—in schools known as hālau. Students of hula, called haumana, include alaka'i or leaders, kokua or helpers, and dancers or 'olapa.

As an engaging art form, hula often uses various hand, hip, and foot movements, such as the kaholo, kawelu, and 'uwehe; while representing words or nature in chant or songs, like palm trees swaying or ocean waves. Hula 'auana or modern hula is sometimes complemented with fire knife dancing performers and often includes popular music performed by musicians, including a lead vocalist, using acoustic stringed instruments.

Hawaiian hula dancers are mostly women who dress in colorful costumes that reflect the mele or oli, beauty of the islands, and the spirit of aloha. When hula in paradise is threatened, misfortune can follow...

* * *

Yoshie Akiyama had been a professional hula dancer on Maui for two years, performing at many different occasions, including anniversaries, award presentations, birthdays, celebrations, events, graduations, luaus, weddings, and more. She loved what she did and knew she did it well. It brought in enough money for her to own her own home and stash away a bit for a rainy day, even if those seemed to be few and far between on the Hawaiian Islands.

Employed by the Aloha Hula Dance Company, Yoshie also performed at private clubs, homes, and for individuals who wished to watch a sexy dancer gyrate and shake her hips and ass for their pleasure. Though some other hula dancers she knew took it a step further—actually a few steps—selling their bodies for extra pay or to get drugs, Yoshie stayed away from that. Yes, she'd had a drug problem once, but she was clean today and just wanted to do whatever she needed to have a bright future.

Tonight she would be doing her thing at a bachelor party. It was being held in a private room at a posh restaurant in Wailea, one of the more affluent parts of Maui on its south shore. The lavish resort community catered to the well-to-do with its sandy white beaches and world-class golf courses and spas.

Wary of horny men who expected more than she was willing to give, as always, Yoshie had made it clear in advance that there would be no hanky panky or extras thrown into the mix. She was strictly professional and wanted that to be respected in the spirit of aloha and her Hawaiian ancestry.

After parking her car in the parking lot, Yoshie checked the mirror to make sure her long raven hair and makeup were just right. She wore a plumeria lei headband and orchid lei over her traditional costume that consisted of a pa'u, or wrapped skirt, along with a matching bikini top. The high heels she wore were her own choice. After applying more lip gloss, she stepped out of the car, bringing with her an iPod loaded with a blend of Hawaiian, Samoan, and Tahitian songs.

Once inside, the attractive host said sweetly, "Aloha. Let me show you to the bachelor party."

"Mahalo," Yoshie said. She followed him while trying to suppress the butterflies in her stomach for yet another performance in which she must win over her audience, especially the man of the hour before he made his way into matrimony—something she hoped would come her way one day.

Once inside the room, Yoshie calmed down as she was greeted warmly by those gathered. She fully expected it to be a night to remember for the bachelor, his friends, and her.

* * *

He used a cloth to wipe the bright red blood from his long blade. It would dry completely soon enough and be ready to use again whenever it suited his fancy. Putting the knife back in his duffel bag, he dragged the naked, bloody corpse to his car, tossing it onto the tarpaulin on the back seat. He then climbed in the front, started the engine, and began to drive.

Turning on some music—"Ke Kali Nei Au"—the Hawaiian wedding song, he sang along, enjoying the adrenalin rush from the fresh kill. He replayed in his mind how he had caught her off guard, then wasted little time going to work on her as he plunged the knife deep within her soft flesh time and time again, until he finished her off by slitting her throat.

She had to die. Just as they all did. It was the only way to punish them properly for stepping over the line. Dancing for an unworthy audience could not be tolerated. He would see to it that they paid the ultimate price for their sins and the sins of those they corrupted.

He sang more of the song and then played it again, which brought great joy to him.

Once he reached the desired destination, he stopped the car and got out. Under the cover of darkness, he pulled the dead hula dancer out and dumped her in the field. He doubted she would rest in peace, but that wasn't his problem. Not any longer.

Getting back in the car, he drove off, already turning his thoughts toward the next one who needed to feel the sting of his blade.

* * *

Lloyd Shaughnessy and his wife, Adrianna, had retired to Maui three years ago. After visiting the island many times, they decided to take the plunge and make it their home. And not a day had gone by that they regretted leaving Portland, Oregon behind. After all, their children were adults now and spread out across the mainland. Now they and the grandkids had a place to come and visit whenever they wanted.

In between, Lloyd enjoyed the tranquility of a hau'oli lā ho'omaha loa or happy retirement in paradise with its palm trees, gentle ocean breezes, and friendly people. It gave him even greater pleasure to spend time outdoors with his two-year-old Belgian Malinois, named Kolohe, which was Hawaiian for rascal.

Today they were taking their usual morning walk and breathing in the fresh air and scent of fragrant plants from nearby gardens. When Kolohe suddenly tried to break free from his leash, Lloyd wondered what had attracted his attention.

"What is it, boy?"

The dog began to bark and continued to be restless. Seeing nothing but the dry field of tall grass ahead, Lloyd figured it was nothing more than a gecko lizard. They were common there and Kolohe loved to chase them, but never seemed to catch one.

"All right," Lloyd gave in, "go for it. Just don't go too far."

He released the dog and it quickly made a beeline for a clump of dead grass, where it stopped on a dime and barked repeatedly. It was clear to Lloyd that something other than a gecko had captured his attention.

"What did you find?" he called out.

Lloyd followed him into the field and stopped abruptly when he spotted a human leg. Taking a step closer, he saw the nude body of a young woman lying face up. Her eyes were open but lifeless. Her throat had been cut and, from the looks of the bloody remains, her killer had done plenty of damage elsewhere too.